The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:16 PM

Default One thing you Love and Hate about the 3 Writers. (Rumours era)

Christine (Love): She can write literally anything: pop, jazz, rock, because she understands music.
Christine (Hate): She holds back experimenting and soloing. And the thing is she's great at both yet chooses to be passive.

Stevie (Love): She gave her life to her passion of art and music. And, her fans love & adore her.
Stevie (Hate): She bellows too much instead of finessing vocally.

Lindsey (Love): Has an amazing vision and leads this band.
Lindsey (Hate): Barks and he haws like he's got ants in the pants.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 08-15-2014 at 03:27 PM..
Old 08-15-2014, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Lindsey (Hate): Barks and he haws like he's got ants in the pants.
Ha. Now, that's one of the things that I love!

Michele
Old 08-15-2014, 03:26 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Michele
It's so weird Michele, I used to love it. Maybe this tour will organically reconvene me with the ants in the pants routine.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's so weird Michele, I used to love it. Maybe this tour will organically reconvene me with the ants in the pants routine.
Yes, to respond to your challenge about stating a like and dislike for each songwriter, I was going to talk about some of Christine's lyrics and that brought me around to thinking of Lindsey's lyrics and sometimes he'll take mundane words and make them mean something, just because of the odd things he's doing with his voice.

I mean, he doesn't salvage Family Man, that's for sure and he almost ruins other songs playing around vocally (Down Endless Street), but with other songs, I think his screams and hiccups convey meaning that's not being articulated, as with Time Bomb Town. I get the sense that time is running out and an explosion is imminent, as the title implies, from his manic delivery, more than from the words.

Michele
Old 08-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like that Stevie is so emotional and passionate about the meaning of her songs, but I hate that she can be sloppy especially with repetitive lyrics and half-arsed vocals rather than honing them more carefully.

I like that Lindsey is NOT sloppy and hones his work so carefully but hate that he can do so to the point of sterilizing the emotions right out of it (better now than before though).

She can be too emotional and he can be too intellectual/analytical.

Chris, I love how she weaves music and lyrics but I sorta hate how her songs are often a woman at the mercy of some not-so-trustworthy man. I'd love to hear a real "don't let the door hit you on the way out" song from her.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post

Chris, I love how she weaves music and lyrics but I sorta hate how her songs are often a woman at the mercy of some not-so-trustworthy man. I'd love to hear a real "don't let the door hit you on the way out" song from her.
I guess Behind the Mask is sort of like that, but she only says that she doesn't THINK she wants him back. It's not forceful.

Michele
Old 08-15-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I'd love to hear a real "don't let the door hit you on the way out" song from her.
Yes!! She has the personality for it.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, to respond to your challenge about stating a like and dislike for each songwriter, I was going to talk about some of Christine's lyrics and that brought me around to thinking of Lindsey's lyrics and sometimes he'll take mundane words and make them mean something, just because of the odd things he's doing with his voice.

I mean, he doesn't salvage Family Man, that's for sure and he almost ruins other songs playing around vocally (Down Endless Street), but with other songs, I think his screams and hiccups convey meaning that's not being articulated, as with Time Bomb Town. I get the sense that time is running out and an explosion is imminent, as the title implies, from his manic delivery, more than from the words.

Michele
Over the years, you have made me realize what a great tune Family Man could have been. The guitars in Family Man and Slow Dancing hypnotized me into putting up with subpar lyrics. lol
Old 08-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Over the years, you have made me realize what a great tune Family Man could have been. The guitars in Family Man and Slow Dancing hypnotized me into putting up with subpar lyrics. lol
Oh, I don't like Family Man. I am not into the guitar enough for that to redeem the song for me. I do love Slow Dancing, though.

Michele
Old 08-15-2014, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Christine (Love): She can write literally anything: pop, jazz, rock, because she understands music.
Christine (Hate): She holds back experimenting and soloing. And the thing is she's great at both yet chooses to be passive.
Ditto...!

In general, I wish the band took more musical risks. I was watching the band's 1974 performance of Black Magic Woman (Don Kurshner's thingy) and was amazed at how complex some of the moments were there, how both Welch and Fleetwood were pushing the band to improvise and explore. Some incredible rhythmic shifts in the song, too. While I love the Rumours-era lineup, I think it's clear they try to keep their live shows as simple and as loud and attractive as possible to as many people possible. There isn't a great sense of musical exploration--at least anymore. Maybe with the new album and next year's tour?
Old 08-15-2014, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Ditto...!

In general, I wish the band took more musical risks. I was watching the band's 1974 performance of Black Magic Woman (Don Kurshner's thingy) and was amazed at how complex some of the moments were there, how both Welch and Fleetwood were pushing the band to improvise and explore. Some incredible rhythmic shifts in the song, too. While I love the Rumours-era lineup, I think it's clear they try to keep their live shows as simple and as loud and attractive as possible to as many people possible. There isn't a great sense of musical exploration--at least anymore. Maybe with the new album and next year's tour?
Oooo, Black Magic Woman...that's one of my all-time favorite songs. I love Peter Green's raw vocals. But I also like what Santana did to the song. I think it seems simple and straightforward on the surface, but there's so much artistry and style underneath.

Last edited by bethelblues; 08-15-2014 at 08:59 PM..
Old 08-15-2014, 11:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Unhappy

In general, I wish all three of them in any combination would have wrote more together.
The audio tapes of them putting together the intro to The Chain...how they all shared the creative process kinda sounded like a lot of improvising that brought that song together. Kinda all threw something in trying to help Lindsey with the song he was stuck on.
Maybe, that was lost along with their personal relationships.
They all went to their separate worlds and got locked into a predictable niche:
Christine - Bluesy/Pop piano driven love songs
Stevie- Mystical soft rock twirling/tambo driven love songs
Lindsey- Edgey love/hate guitar driven love songs

So, I both love and hate that all three of them did and didn't write more with each other. I think some awesome songs could have been created if they had explored writing with each other.
Maybe, just maybe it could still happen.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love all 3.I'm so happy that Chris is back with them.My only gripe is with the band is why it takes for ages to record an album.

Other bands record an album in a flash.

Stevie already showed that she can do a album in a flash.I understand that is only one person.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 08-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Ledgie

Christine

I love her voice and personality. She is a necessary rock.

I dislike her time away, and Do You Know.

Lindsey

I love his enthusiasm and incomparable playing skill.

I dislike his obsession with solo work.

Stevie

I love her uniqueness and never-ending desire to stay relevant.

I dislike her obsession with solo work as well, and that she continues not to take care of her diminishing voice.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
Ditto!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.