The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-27-2003, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Anyone else think Christine Quit FM for other reasons?

Anyone else think that there is much more to Christine leaving the band? I think that something happened during the Dance tour that they aren't telling us. That is not to mean that they are not all on speaking terms or they hate each other or anything. I just mean that I think that Christine didn't just not like touring. Anyone else agree?

I think that Fall From Grace by Stevie, is about Christine McVie and maybe something happened between Stevie and Christine. But I don't really think so. I actually think that it is Lindsey who is mad at Christine because in an interview he said that "Christine burned some bridges" as the reason she isn't in the band. I don't know, does anyone else think I am on to something or am I crazy?

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 07-28-2003, 12:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree. I think something happened between Lindsey and Christine because he also said in an interview:"If Christine were to say she would come back, I'd say no at this point". I've read somewhere (I believe at Mick's board but the post got deleted) that, when Lindsey came back the whole band said:"Yes" except Christine. Than in the middle of the tour she said to the band:"It's either him (Lindsey) or me". We all know the answer to that statement......
But we musn't believe everything we read. Reporters have a way to turn one sentence into a drama piece William Shakespear could have written.

Take care ~ Debbie

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 07-28-2003, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmm, that's interesting.... I always thought the exchange between Lindsey and Mick on the "All Access" VH1 special when Lindsey asked Mick if he'd seen the flowers Christine had sent was a little.... odd..... just the way they were looking at each other and the way Mick said "she's a class act" like Lindsey needed to be reminded of that. By no means am I trying to start anything, but this thread just reminded me of that part of the VH1 special that was a bit off to me.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:25 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
I always thought the exchange between Lindsey and Mick on the "All Access" VH1 special when Lindsey asked Mick if he'd seen the flowers Christine had sent was a little.... odd..... just the way they were looking at each other and the way Mick said "she's a class act" like Lindsey needed to be reminded of that. By no means am I trying to start anything, but this thread just reminded me of that part of the VH1 special that was a bit off to me.
That bugged me too... it was like they were not on speaking terms (christine and the band)... if I remember correctly lindsey said she wrote "love the new album"... you would think they would have talked with christine on the phone or something... It really got me thinking they are not telling us something that happened between them and christine... eventhough it's not our business... but you know?...
Old 07-28-2003, 02:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

In my opinion, any story about a falling out between Christine and Lindsey, or Christine and Stevie, is purely fabricated.

Remember, it was Christine who stated, in 'The Making Of Rumours,' that she, along with the others, felt that they were each irreplaceable.
I cannot imagine her suddenly stating that she wouldn't be in Fleetwood Mac if Lindsey came back... especially since Lindsey is someone with whom she has had a very fruitful musical partnership. One that was never rife with bitterness or competitiveness.

Quite simply, Christine is done with the rigors of touring, and Fleetwood Mac is making the absolute best of moving on without her in the band.

As for the seemingly small amount of communication between them, they've each mentioned this over the years... that they consider themselves to be an important part of each other's lives, but they're rarely in touch when they're not recording or touring.

So, again, I see nothing sinister about Christine no longer being in Fleetwood Mac, or the fact that they're not all talking on the phone once a week.

And now that Christine has seen that Fleetwood Mac is "standing on its own two legs," she might gladly make a guest appearance on any future Mac album, as she'd likely be less concerned now that they'd try to talk her into another tour.

Hey, she may even turn up to see the band while they're performing in the UK!
Old 07-28-2003, 05:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the main reason Christine quit was because she hated touring & life on the road. She had been sick of touring & playing live at least since the BTM tour. But, I do think something happened between Chris & Lindsey during the Dance tour. He has been insulting her and generally disrespecting her in most of the interviews he's done. Now, that could be because he's a little defensive because of negative reviews or problems with the album sales. It'll be interesting to see if she joins them in the U.K. for a few shows this fall or if she even shows up to see them.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:44 AM

Huh...Interesting observation Merf..it did seem like Mick "chided" Lindsey during that exchage now that you mention it.

I still believe Christine was really just "tired of it all" at this point in her life and really does want to settle in a quiet domestic scene and record and tour on her own terms...after all these years, I think she deserves to...and a few years down the road...who knows??...Chris will be there for Fleetwood Mac's..."Farewell Reunion" Tour....Like the Eagles and Cher
Old 07-28-2003, 08:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default You're Reading My Mind!

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Hey, she may even turn up to see the band while they're performing in the UK!
My sentiments exactly!! I've thought this all along.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You gotta remember that she's what? 60? 61? That's not as old as you can possibly be but she's no spring chicken either. She's been in the business a long time, and the woman's been through a hell of a lot.

To be honest I think it's too much of a shock for her to deal with the stresses of touring without the drugs, booze, and cigarettes. Anybody remember "Homeward Bound?" A song she wrote in 1972 about hating being on the road and wanting to retire? That was 3 years before their breakthrough album and she was already sick of it! And notice that she had many vices from then up until the late 80s. She was obviously using substances to escape from something she didn't enjoy much. She's even said to Stevie "This is your passion. NOT mine." I'm sure she enjoyed music very much, but the road was just too much for her to cope with and in her older age she had just had enough.

I was in a band once that was somewhat enjoyable, but playing shows was usually a nightmare for me. There's just too much that could go wrong. Playing a gig at 1 AM is rough when you've been up since six in the morning and it's a weeknight and you work again the next morning. I couldn't imagine it being like that every day for months on end. Plus, I didn't care much for the music, which was really thrashy metal. People had actually told me I looked like I was taking a **** in my pants onstage I looked so miserable.

So, I drank a lot and smoked a lot of weed. There was a long period that I played most shows completely wrecked. I didn't just have a few, I blew 30 or 40 bucks at the bar. I really made a complete ass out of myself a few times. It sucks for me to even say this stuff. It got to the point where I was forgetting how songs went and playing different songs instead of the ones being played. Once the guitar player said something that wasn't to my liking after a bad show, so I started throwing equipment and cases all over the place. One show I thought it would be a good idea to get into a shouting match with the guitar player and drummer. After that, they told me I needed to slow down with the alcohol. So I did, no problem. Nobody wants to be a liability. When I started repeatedly playing shows sober I realized that I was more miserable than I had thought. Drunk I could deal with it, sober it was a major irritant. It wasn't long after that I quit, and they packed it in shortly after. I think things may have been similar with Christine.

As for the other stuff, I really don't know but if there was anything else involved, I'm sure it was trivial compared to her main reasons. I recently read an interview with Lindsey and Mick in Classic Rock magazine, and they both said that at first they held out hope that Christine would join in for sessions, but as time passed it looked less and less likely and that part way into making the album they realized that it just wasn't happening. So I really dont think theres THAT much animosity, if there is any. Maybe resentment from the boys in the band now, but I think it would only be resentment because they're bummed she isn't taking part.

Plus too, the woman has a ****ing CASTLE. At the age of 23, if I had a castle, I wouldn't be touring either!
Old 07-28-2003, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Maybe Lindsey is mad at her for not wanting to tour...but hmmm, wasn't there a time when Mr. Buckingham didn't want to tour??? And Chris seemed okay with that, but when it's the other way around, it's not okay?

I don't think this fight or disagreement or WHATEVER was huge...I think she probably said, "Look I don't want to do this, and I'm not going to change." Mick, John and Stevie were probably like, "We'll miss you lots but we understand." I think Lindsey was the one who was very disappointed, almost angry.

"If you f*ck with my people, I'm gonna get real f*cking angry!" (Stevie-1988)

If I'd have written a song on "Rumours"? How about "You want a what?", or "We should have had a Pre-Nup". (John McVie)
Old 07-28-2003, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sorry, but I think something happened.

I read in one review how they were totally dumbfounded that FM didn't even say at one point of this concert tour while on stage " we miss you Christine"...not one mention. I mean she's been with the band since 1970, right? Thats a long time to be a part of something. She even helped with Time when Stevie and Lindsey were long gone.

She stuck by FM before they were the Rumours mega machine that S/L were a part of. If FM were just a mediocre band, would S/L be coming back..of course not.

Christine stuck by FM. She did...

And I think something happened. I think words were exchanged and now she's not welcome. Knock me over with a feather if she gets on stage in the UK, and if she does, I will gladly eat my words because I LOVE her and I want her back with them, but I really think stuff , big stuff has gone down. It's a shame.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Janet
She stuck by FM before they were the Rumours mega machine that S/L were a part of. If FM were just a mediocre band, would S/L be coming back..of course not.

Christine stuck by FM. She did...

I love Christine, and I wish she would hit the stage in the UK, and who knows, it may happen! But let's be honest, she's always been in the shadow of Stevie and Lindsey. It is S and L's addition to the band that brought mainstream success, along with Christine's many contributions of course. And I don't blame the woman for any kind of resentment-- she's only human, after all.

"The Dance" was touted as a huge deal in the press because "Lindsey was back" even though Christine and Stevie had both peaced out of the band after Behind the Mask. So Lindsey, as well as Stevie, were both always touted as more important than Christine, even though she's the one that contributed to their biggest radio/commercial hits.

I think something happened, they didn't even mention her once during the tour~ not even when they played World Turning and Don't Stop, not even on her birthday! You would think they'd give a brief passing mention, a quick "Happy Birthday to our dear friend Christine" or something....and I don't think it's Stevie and Christine with the feud, either. And we know it's probably not John, and Mick has always adored her, so.... who does that leave?

Another quick observation-- Did anyone else notice on the Very Best of FM documentary, when Lindsey talked about how Christine wasn't involved in this project, and the camera zoomed in on him, his eyes were very... I don't know, icy. Like grey. I just got the feeling that he wasn't comfortable talking about the situation and the cameraman zoomed in on his face cause he could feel that tension.

Maybe I'm grasping at straws, who knows..... just my two cents.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Chris will NOT appear in England, regardless of whether angry words have been exchanged. The new Mac edition has worked hard to shake the "touring without Chris" monkey off its back in interviews. Bringing her onstage would be a step backwards so that all subsequent shows would again seem to be missing a key member. (That being said, for selfish reasons I would love to see her onstage with the band again.)

For the record, I do suspect tension between Chris and Lindsey, but nothing monstrous. I think she already wanted to stop touring, and he might have chided her for giving him a hard time for quitting in 1987, or more likely, he criticized the Mask and Time years as lacking substance without him. I think back to Mick's book, the day of the blow-out at Stevie's, where Chris is the one who says to him "What do you mean, 'do it all.'"

- Jake
Old 07-28-2003, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by WednesdaysChild
Maybe Lindsey is mad at her for not wanting to tour...but hmmm, wasn't there a time when Mr. Buckingham didn't want to tour??? And Chris seemed okay with that, but when it's the other way around, it's not okay?

I don't think this fight or disagreement or WHATEVER was huge...I think she probably said, "Look I don't want to do this, and I'm not going to change." Mick, John and Stevie were probably like, "We'll miss you lots but we understand." I think Lindsey was the one who was very disappointed, almost angry.

Oh! Come on! It's one thing to speculate about things...but give them all a little bit more credit for being higher-minded and sophisticated. The band was angry with Lindsey when he didn't want to tour --- only because they had just made the Tango in the Night album, and the assumption was that they would tour to promote it.

The situation with Christine was much different. Why the hell would Lindsey be upset with Christine for opting out the album and tour? It's not like she participated in the album and then decided not to tour.

That is a childish assumption (that of drama queens) which holds no logic whatsoever. We all know Lindsey would rather be on his own, than carry the baggage of a whole group. Least now he has realized that he needs the band almost as much as they need him.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-28-2003 at 01:30 PM..
Old 07-28-2003, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by darklinensuit
[B]I think Chris will NOT appear in England, regardless of whether angry words have been exchanged. The new Mac edition has worked hard to shake the "touring without Chris" monkey off its back in interviews. Bringing her onstage would be a step backwards so that all subsequent shows would again seem to be missing a key member. (That being said, for selfish reasons I would love to see her onstage with the band again.)[QUOTE][

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thankfully there are fans here who are living in the real world!