The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-27-2003, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down Warner Brothers to SELL us album tracks...

Hey guys,

If you haven't checked out the "Insider news" of the fan club...

"SINGLE SONG DOWNLOADS will be available in MP3 format from Warner Bros. Records right at the site in advance of the record launch. WBR is handling this and there will be a minimal charge to download and own each song. We’ll send Fan Club Members advance notice of when this will go up. More news on this when we get it.

*The first song slated for download is “Peacekeeper” (the record cut full version) and we expect this to go up on 3/04 or 3/05! You will also be able to download a new (full cut from the record) song each week between 3/04 and 4/07 for a total of 5 songs over 5 weeks. The songs being offered for advance download (at a small fee per song to WBR) are:

“ Peacekeeper”
“ Running Through the Garden”
“ Steal Your Heart Away”
“ Smile at You” and
“ What’s the World Coming To”

MY PERSONAL OPINION....

I got TISL 3 weeks before it came out in stores. When I finally got my store copy, I was upset because there was no "magic" to the cd. The only thing new was the album art and such. For this album, I hve only heard the snippets of "Peacekeeper", "Say You Will", and the full, UNFINISHED version of 'Thrown Down". Frankly, I want this album to be extra special to me on April 15th, so I will pass on the album purchasing thing...although "Smile at you" is quite tempting!

~Alex

Old 02-27-2003, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arggghhh how tempting! I think I will chose ONE (Running Through The Garden) - that way there's still a lot to look forward to for the real deal.

Oh wait, is this just for fan club members???!

Geesz, they've really got this messed up if they're happy to cut off the source of income from those who want the songs but aren't '60 dollar gold class' fans.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Those of you who will feel a lil dissapointed and empty when picking this album up on April 15th prolly deserve it (Myself included). I mean, we've had Lindsey's part of the album basically for a year. Three new songs have leaked and just about everyone is listening to them now. You guys are spoiling it to be honest. This is why I am not going to d/l the album when it leaks. So far I've only heard "Thrown Down" and "Peacekeeper" twice, I wanna keep it that way until the album hits. I'm trying to salvage this so the CD will feel fresh when I play this album on the 15th.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down Even though it's tempting...

I think I will wait this one out...First ya have to join their fanclub then pay to hear the songs, I dont think so...Brian J.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 02-27-2003, 08:17 PM
Ledgie

I don't think I wanna hear anymore than I already have either,
but a question...

Once someone has paid for and downloaded the songs, what, if anything, would prevent them from them sharing them with others?

That may be a stupid question, but I don't know that much about the technology.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Good question...

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverGirl
...Once someone has paid for and downloaded the songs, what, if anything, would prevent them from them sharing them with others?

That will happen, Trust me on that...These songs will be "Everywhere"...lol... Brian J.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 02-27-2003, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not going NEAR Smile at You. That's one song i want to disolve on the 15th. And since I've never even heard RTTG or What's the world Coming to, I'll pass on them so I'll be suprised too. The only one i would think about getting is Steal Your Heart Away, seeing as I don't care too much for the GOS version so it's a real EXCITMENT BREAKER there. I do want to see how much a gift of screws song changes.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 02-27-2003, 09:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Angry Stupid!!

WHY would someone pay for the songs a month before we get em on CD?!??!?!? STUPID!! I can wait until April, thanks...I've heard Peacekeeper (from Third Watch) and Say You Will (from the commercial for That 70's Show), and I don't wanna spoil the others on the 15th...I can wait.

I was JUST ABOUT to post this email too, you beat me Alex...even tho it says NOT to share the info with other boards!! LMAO!!
Old 02-27-2003, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

While I'd be happier if they were offering free-to-member downloads of bonus tracks, I'm gonna buy th downloads. I figure that record companies need all the encouragement they can get to embrace music download and subscription services + I've got so many songs for free that a few bucks for some is a small price to pay. Who knows, if this is a success, the record company might make "the vaults" more open for prestine downloads of rarities like Holiday Road, I Want You Back, My Little Demon (Studio), etc. As for the idea of making the new album a fresh listening experience, you don't have to listen to the tracks, just show your support for such endeavors by buying the things. Look at the bigger picture.

John
Old 02-27-2003, 11:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Warner Brothers to SELL us album tracks...

Quote:
Originally posted by greatdarkwing
Hey guys,

If you haven't checked out the "Insider news" of the fan club...

"SINGLE SONG DOWNLOADS will be available in MP3 format from Warner Bros. Records right at the site in advance of the record launch. WBR is handling this and there will be a minimal charge to download and own each song. We’ll send Fan Club Members advance notice of when this will go up. More news on this when we get it.

*The first song slated for download is “Peacekeeper” (the record cut full version) and we expect this to go up on 3/04 or 3/05! You will also be able to download a new (full cut from the record) song each week between 3/04 and 4/07 for a total of 5 songs over 5 weeks. The songs being offered for advance download (at a small fee per song to WBR) are:

“ Peacekeeper”
“ Running Through the Garden”
“ Steal Your Heart Away”
“ Smile at You” and
“ What’s the World Coming To”

MY PERSONAL OPINION....

I got TISL 3 weeks before it came out in stores. When I finally got my store copy, I was upset because there was no "magic" to the cd. The only thing new was the album art and such. For this album, I hve only heard the snippets of "Peacekeeper", "Say You Will", and the full, UNFINISHED version of 'Thrown Down". Frankly, I want this album to be extra special to me on April 15th, so I will pass on the album purchasing thing...although "Smile at you" is quite tempting!

~Alex
Yeap, that's exactly what happen to me with TISL. By the time I bought the CD I already new all the songs and there was no excitement left. So I'm going to pass on that one too.

Isabel
Old 02-27-2003, 11:40 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:44 PM
Junior Ledgie

Thumbs up

I agree with John. I hope that the record company gets a good response so that after the CD comes out, they will offer songs that didnt make the CD or live or other unreleased tracks.

I suspect that Warner Bros. and all of the major labels are scrambling to find a way to fight against the folks who download singles and entire albums on the internet. I really doubt that Mick, Stevie, Lindsey or John are making these decisions. I think that they'll earn a ton of money from the tour and aren't looking to make money on fans from mp3 downloads or from fan clubs.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverGirl
Once someone has paid for and downloaded the songs, what, if anything, would prevent them from them sharing them with others?
It's VERY possible that the songs will be uploaded as .wma files (Windows Media Audio), which are not burnable.

Although there are programs out there which can convert .wma files to mp3s.

I'm going to have to see how much they charge for each file, before I decide whether or not to download them... but I'm certainly not against it.
I had 'Trouble In Shangri-La' several weeks before it was released, and I was still at the music store the day it came out, and my excitment was not lessened in any way.

I think releasing one song per week, is a great way to whet the appetite of the fans. It helps build excitement, and it gives you a chance to have already digested some of the songs before the full album release on the 15th.
And we'll still have THIRTEEN brand new songs to listen to that day!

Johnny Stew

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 02-28-2003 at 12:17 AM..
Old 02-28-2003, 12:14 PM
Junior Ledgie

Anyone remember what happened when Tusk came out? There was a big launch promotion where they played the album in it's entirety on the radio over a national network. Unfortunately, they underestimated the number of people with cassette recorders who just taped it off the radio and then didn't pay for the (at that time) expensive double album.

I can't help feeling that, after that debacle, they will do all they can to right-protect these files.

I guess that also explains why only a few of the tracks will be available.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I cannot see why they are not doing the VH-1 thing that Stevie did for TISL. Except for the initial tech problems, I thought that was great, esp. the interviews. And, the presales played a big role in the #5 debut. Maybe the same can be done with the WB site, although I do not see people thinking to go to it as much as VH-1.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-28-2003, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

.WMA files SUCK in a serious way.

It'd be a nice try for them.. too bad anything they do can be un-done. NO matter what.

You can't really "protect" them in any way other than putting them in some crap format that isn't that widespread and offer a player for it. And even if they do that, someone will find a way to convert it, and it's always possible.

Like mp2. We have to use mp2 for everything at work.. kind of a pain when you want to play something on air you got from the 'net.. but you just convert it like, 3 times and put it in whatever format you want.

Sarah