User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Telephone Interview with Lindsey

Fleetwood Mac News - No Crow

Lindsey Buckingham did a roundtable press conference today, on which there will be more in a future article. During the telephone sit-down, he addressed the rumors (Rumours?) about Sheryl Crow joining the band next year, and he didn’t pull any punches:

When Fleetwood Mac was touring [in support of 2003's "Say You Will"], Christine McVie had left, having burned all her bridges, selling her house in L.A. and moving to England. We divided material down the middle. I had a great time because it allowed me to be a guy on stage. In retrospect, Stevie wasn’t as comfortable with that divide. When it came to contemplating working next year… we [thought] bringing Sheryl Crow would be an intiguing idea. We put out the feelers and that’s about as far as it got. Last spring, Sheryl took it upon herself to tell the world she was joining Fleetwood Mac. It was in itself inappropriate - you sit down with a band and announce it. It bothered Stevie a great deal and Mick as well. I thought it was off the wall. There were some harsh words, and she was given her marching orders - not that she’d been in the band in the first place.

Lindsey went on to say that Fleetwood Mac is contemplating doing a “long term thing” beginning in early 2009, which included making a new record and touring. He wasn’t certain that Crow understood that a commitment of 3-4 years was what he had in mind. “Probably in January, the band will start rehearsing, then see what happens,” he said.

No guarantees, but it sounds like the Mac is back.

The press conference was done as part of the promotional effort for “Gift of Screws,” which drops September 16, It’s harder-rocking follow-up to 2006’s “Under the Skin,” featuring contributions from Mac alums John McVie and Mick Fleetwood. Buckingham says the boisterous title track lifted its’ chorus from an Emily Dickinson poem. “I’m always looking to rip off things that are public domain,” he joked. Lindsey went on to call the song, which sounds more like circa-1978 Elvis Costello than anything the Mac ever did, “Mick’s favorite drum track ever. I played the album for him the other day, he came to my house, and he wishes it could have been on a Fleetwood Mac album.”

“Gift of Screws” was conceived way back in 1995, and shelved over the years due to Buckingham’s many (mainly Fleetwood Mac) commitments (he called them “interventions on solo work”). Several cuts from the oft-bootlegged disk, including “Peacekeeper” and “Murrow In His Grave,” ended up on other records. The new CD has only one surviving song from the original “Gift of Screws” - the title track - along with bits and pieces of a few others.

It’s a solid, electrified effort - lyrically mature, well-rounded and tight. It might not be Buckingham’s most successful record ever - the music business has changed too much for that - but it’s among his best. Lindsey’s Mac fans will feel right at home with songs like “Love Runs Deeper” (co-written with Buckingham’s wife) and “The Right Place To Fade,” which is reminiscent of a revved-up “Monday Morning.”

Lindsey Buckingham’s tour to support “Gift of Screws” begins September 7 in Saratoga, California; he’s in Lebanon, New Hampshire October 12, and Northampton, Massachusetts on October 14. There are also shows in Boston and Ridgefield, Connecticut. The tour ends October 19 in New York City.

http://localrhythms.wordpress.com/20...-news-no-crow/
Old 08-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post

Lindsey went on to say that Fleetwood Mac is contemplating doing a “long term thing” beginning in early 2009, which included making a new record and touring. He wasn’t certain that Crow understood that a commitment of 3-4 years was what he had in mind. “Probably in January, the band will start rehearsing, then see what happens,” he said.

No guarantees, but it sounds like the Mac is back.
Well, that absolutely corroborates with the multi-year world farewell tour rumors that have been out there for a while now.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm still curious what exactly happened with Christine that constitutes as burning all her bridges. I understand that she likely made it clear that she no longer wants to be a part of the band and thus left the country to go back to England fulltime, but a statement like that implies that there was some intensity to the decision and that should she ever change her mind (which we all know she likely won't), too bad for her because it's over and done. I like thinking she peacefully stepped away for the most part, but Lindsey's wording portrays it as a bit more than that.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklind17 View Post
I'm still curious what exactly happened with Christine that constitutes as burning all her bridges. I understand that she likely made it clear that she no longer wants to be a part of the band and thus left the country to go back to England fulltime, but a statement like that implies that there was some intensity to the decision and that should she ever change her mind (which we all know she likely won't), too bad for her because it's over and done. I like thinking she peacefully stepped away for the most part, but Lindsey's wording portrays it as a bit more than that.
I'm sure the band was run like a company where everyone owns interest and she sold off her stock/rights etc. or something like that.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:38 PM

snarky
Old 08-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
I'm sure the band was run like a company where everyone owns interest and she sold off her stock/rights etc. or something like that.

I don't think she did. Of course, I don't know, but just because they still have active corporations involving all 5 of them, I think Christine still shares in the income generated before she left.

Yes, I agree that Lindsey's "burned her bridges" comment sounds like Christine couldn't come back even if she wanted to, but whenever he elaborates on that comment, he just says she moved, sold her house, divorced, etc. He never says that anything else constitutes burning her bridges and I doubt that she did anything else to burn her bridges. Why he likes to phrase it like that is . . . Well, I think he's just being contrary and perverse. I don't think it means anything. Seeing as how its 4 of them and 3 of them would never say "no" to her, she can't have burned her bridges.

I wish he wouldn't say anything else about Sheryl Crow. He doesn't need to start a feud about it. Just say it didn't work out and leave it at that. I think we all figured out she was being presumptuous in making that announcement. He repudiated it. He doesn't need to say things like she got her walking papers and what not. I don't want her to say anything negative about him in response and I don't want Stevie to comment on it further. So, it would be nice if he would shut up.

Michele
Old 08-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the post.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love lindsey, but I agree about the Sheryl thing Michelle,but it is interseting to hear more of what happened behind the scenes, haha I guess that's what Fleetwood Mac is all about "Rumours"....
Old 08-26-2008, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I wish he wouldn't say anything else about Sheryl Crow. He doesn't need to start a feud about it. Just say it didn't work out and leave it at that. I think we all figured out she was being presumptuous in making that announcement. He repudiated it. He doesn't need to say things like she got her walking papers and what not. I don't want her to say anything negative about him in response and I don't want Stevie to comment on it further. So, it would be nice if he would shut up.
I agree completely. Lindsey is being a piss-ass. He should shut up. Poor Sheryl. She's undoubtedly squirming. The worst thing she did was to jump the gun or just plain get excited & spout prematurely (er ... we've all had that happen to us). Why is he hammering her down? She's getting the real gift of screws.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Well, that absolutely corroborates with the multi-year world farewell tour rumors that have been out there for a while now.
What happens one or two months into it when the other side of Stevie Nicks' hip gives out?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-27-2008, 12:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish people would stop asking him about Sheryl Crow. Since they won't, the more information he can offer and the more attitude he shows, I enjoy that. But I like it best when he concludes with the stuff about how this got he and Stevie talking more about their vision for a new direction.

Oh Em Gee!!! What about that part about how Mick wishes Gift of Screws had been on a Mac album?!?! All I could think was: Umm... you shoulda done the freegin double cd!

I love these people.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post

Oh Em Gee!!! What about that part about how Mick wishes Gift of Screws had been on a Mac album?!?! All I could think was: Umm... you shoulda done the freegin double cd!
I would consider Say You Will a double CD.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I agree completely. Lindsey is being a piss-ass. He should shut up. Poor Sheryl. She's undoubtedly squirming. The worst thing she did was to jump the gun or just plain get excited & spout prematurely (er ... we've all had that happen to us). Why is he hammering her down? She's getting the real gift of screws.
And the last thing Sheryl said was that she really loves Stevie and ALL of them. She made that love inclusive of the whole band. So, since Sheryl's being gracious about it and also Stevie put a nice face on it, (saying that Sheryl has a small baby, commitments etc.), Lindsey should just go off somewhere and polish his boots.

Michele
Old 08-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Michele
Yeah, I have to agree with this. Enough already. I've really wanted to see Lindsey on tour the fall, but I haven't been healthy enough to travel. And at this point, I really don't think I would anyway because his comments about Sheryl really turn me off.

Lee
Old 08-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, this was a press junket comment, so it will be reported in 1033 outlets, even though he only said it once.

As far as seeing him, I am more worried about not seeing him enough. I wonder if there is any chance his tour will be lengthened after New York.

Michele