Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Newspaper Review of Melbourne Concert

Nicks charms, but too little of the MSO

REVIEWER - Guy Blackman from The Age.

The show started with a modest lack of fanfare and and almost inaudible MSO. Stevie suddenly appeared looking both like Alice in Wonderland and The Mad Hatter, all in black with top hat and high-heeled boots.

Perhaps it was just out seats but well into the second song, Fleetwood Mac's Dreams, there was still only the barest hint of violins discernible over song's trademark loping beat.

Thankfully the assembled orchestra was given the chance to shine accomponied only by a video backdrop of Stevie while she herself dissapeared into her own dressing room at the side of the stage for the first of a series of costume changes.

Rhiannon soared with the orchestra before the drums came in to get the 3/4 full arena screaming in approval.

But once again with the band in full swing the MSO was almost entirely seen and not heard.

Although she looks 37 rather than 57, Nicks remained mostly static during the performance, moving with a touch of stiffness and occasionally banging a tambourine.

But for the urgent solo hit Stand Back out came the whirling dervish of old, Nicks spinning, arms outstretched, with a mischievous expression at the delight of the audience.

Landslide was the night's orchestral and emotional highlight with a black and white career collage behind Nicks and flute and sweeping strings merging beautifully with dual acoustic guitars.

For the first time, the evenings disparate elements jelled - and it was thrilling.

As a SN band show it was fantastic, full of equal parts good natured charm, grace and real poignancy.

Nicks was compelling and charismatic from beginning to end, saying little between songs but commanding attention with every move.

But the sight of all those bows bowing, mallets pounding and cheeks puffing to little audible avail was just to frustrating for the show to be an unqualified success.

Sorry about any typos, but I hand typed it because I couldn't find the review online.

Enjoy!
Old 02-19-2006, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: ... in the shadow of this strange, strong love of you

"Although she looks 37 rather than 57..."

Will she ever LOVE that!!!

thanks so much for typing that all out! not a bad little review.

"We're rock stars. We are not nice."
Stevie Nicks, the sage mother goddess fierce gypsy bitch we adore.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

"Nicks was compelling and charismatic from beginning to end, saying little between songs but commanding attention with every move."

YEEEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*tears of pride welling up*

Thank you for typing that. It's too bad the orchestra was underutilized, in my head quite a few of her songs were ripe for orchestral change.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 02-19-2006, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I got chills when I read about Landslide. Loser.

Excellent review, sounds like there may have been sound issues, whether it was that the orchestra was too quiet or the band was too loud, or both. But who gives a damn, our girl kicked ass!
Old 02-19-2006, 12:18 AM
Junior Ledgie

I think it was a bit of both regarding the sound issues.

The band was very loud - but then the venue is quite big and I though the orchestra would have been bigger. Maybe they didn't take crowd noise into consideration - but you think they would.

But since it was being recorded, all the MSO parts should come out clear and loud on the DVD.

She did very well! She looked fantastic.

Plus - I caught the tram home, and a group of young men asked what was on my ishuffle I said Stevie...and the group of them let out a rather good rendition of Edge of Seventeen.

There were also HEAPS of young people at the concert.

She's back!
Old 02-19-2006, 12:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucindalou
Plus - I caught the tram home, and a group of young men asked what was on my ishuffle I said Stevie...and the group of them let out a rather good rendition of Edge of Seventeen.

There were also HEAPS of young people at the concert.

She's back!

STEVIE IS LOVE!

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 02-19-2006, 01:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it was a sound issue, unfortunately I agree, the orchestra wasn't used well enough, although it did add depth to a fan's listening because we hear differences, to the average listener it would have been not noticable.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:56 AM
Senior Ledgie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynan88
I think it was a sound issue, unfortunately I agree, the orchestra wasn't used well enough, although it did add depth to a fan's listening because we hear differences, to the average listener it would have been not noticable.
Also, sometimes the band and orchestra overpowered her and you couldn't actually hear what she was singing... we all knew (because we know the words!) but other people people probably couldn't tell.

~~ But you all would have been proud of our Stevie... she was FANTASTIC!
Old 02-19-2006, 01:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold_dustgypsy
Also, sometimes the band and orchestra overpowered her and you couldn't actually hear what she was singing... we all knew (because we know the words!) but other people people probably couldn't tell.

~~ But you all would have been proud of our Stevie... she was FANTASTIC!
Agreed, like what I was saying last night, she could mouth it and we would know the words, somehow the orchestra and insturments were overpowering yet somewhat inneffective...Stevie herself however was...words can't describe how I feel after last night
Old 02-19-2006, 02:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=lucindalou]. Stevie suddenly appeared looking both like Alice in Wonderland and The Mad Hatter, all in black with top hat and high-heeled boots.
Rhiannon soared with the orchestra before the drums came in to get the 3/4 full arena screaming in approval.
Although she looks 37 rather than 57, Nicks remained mostly static during the performance, banging a tambourine.
But for the urgent solo hit Stand Back out came the whirling dervish of old, Nicks spinning, arms outstretched, with a mischievous expression at the delight of the audience.
Landslide was the night's orchestral and emotional highlight with a black and white career collage behind Nicks and flute and sweeping strings merging beautifully with dual acoustic guitars.
For the first time, the evenings disparate elements jelled - and it was thrilling.
Nicks was compelling and charismatic from beginning to end, saying little between songs but commanding attention with every move.

AHHH< More Good News! It just keeps coming. THis is a very good sign. Thank you for typing that out and welcome to the board I'm glad you had a good time.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think we the sound is mixed for the DVD...you will be able to hear the orchestra clearly.

I, for one, really want to hear one of my fav. Stevie songs (Enchanted) with an orchestra!
Old 02-19-2006, 02:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
I think we the sound is mixed for the DVD...you will be able to hear the orchestra clearly.

I, for one, really want to hear one of my fav. Stevie songs (Enchanted) with an orchestra!
Thats exactly what i was thinking. The sound will be greatly improved for the DVD
Old 02-19-2006, 07:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for typing that out! (and for posting the review on the other thread)

Does anyone know what Stevie said about there being "hell to pay"' if the audio got messed up or something? Someone mentioned her saying something after BATB, before the retakes. Just curious.

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey
Old 02-19-2006, 09:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I don't know much about this sort of thing but presumably for the DVD / CD those sound issues can be balanced out, so the orchestra and band will sound OK together?

Like I say, I don't know, but for the Metallica DVD there's an option to hear just the orchestra or just the band.

I think it can be straightened out for the official release.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara
Like I say, I don't know, but for the Metallica DVD there's an option to hear just the orchestra or just the band.
Hey, that's a cool idea. Thank's for posting that review. Sound's like Stevie was right on (for a first nite).