Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:30 PM
llb

Default Maria McKee

Anyone see Maria in Philly? I thought I was going to see her show tonight but ended up not going. If anyone went to Tin Angel in Philadelphia and saw her perform, please let me know what you thought of it. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw her about a week or 2 ago here in San Francisco. (At Cafe DuNord...this old speakeasy, that holds a special place in my heart for also hosting a Bella Donna Ball once!!!!) Anyway, not being really proficient in her music, I was bowled over. She was funny when speaking, and a powerhouse when singing. Talked about having been in Finland (??) earlier that month @ some 80's festival, and getting to meet Hanoi Rocks. LMFAO!
We met her afterwards..(hope pic attaches) and she was just as fabulous in person. I'd def see her again. My friend who is FULLY all about "Breathe" went apeshi*t when she started in on that. Seriously good song!!!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 07-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

^^

Did she do Absolutely Barking Stars?

I've been a huge fan since the Lone Justice days. Unfortunately missed the Cafe du Nord show due to sick cat. I don't care for Maria's latest album (and I really hate her "whatever" attitude towards her career), but she has the best voice ever.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Her voice is just fantastic.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Did she do Absolutely Barking Stars
I'm so sorry. I wouldn't know a 3rd of her songs if they came up and bit me on the ass. By the next time she comes around I sure will though, cause like I said, I was really impressed. My pal that is more fluent on her agrees that she takes her career very lightly these days. And also agrees that her new album is cat poo, but um, I guess it's ok. Is that "Late December?" I got that @ the show also, but have yet to listen to it. I'm so lazy about even the easiest things. haha. My friend was like "is she tone def or something", but has come to appreciate it a bit more since. The woman, again I'll say is sweet as can be in person. She has so many fans that I can't figure why she'd be taking her career so lightly. Not knowing her past so well (record labels, hits or misses w/ albums etc) I'd just chalk it up to frustration at not hitting MAIN mainstream. I recall Lone Justice being pretty hot for a year or 2 but then nodda. That's gotta suck being SO close and then sorta fading away. Atleast she hasn't quit all together.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 07-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's a great pic! I'd love to see her - *goes to google for tour dates*
Old 07-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
That's a great pic! I'd love to see her - *goes to google for tour dates*
Good luck! She usually just plays SF, LA, Philadelphia, New York and sometimes some suburb of DC. Then she goes to Europe where she is much more popular.

She didn't tour from '96 to '03 or something like that, but has done a few gigs per year since.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

whos who in the photo. Thats how ignorant to this I am. So sorry.

She sang "Show Me Heaven" didnt she?
Old 07-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Maria's on the right. She sang "Show Me Heaven", but seems to hate the song and never plays it.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow!! Barking Stars.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've seen her many times both with Lone Justice and solo. She manages to sneak in to town (read - no publicity!) when she plays LA. She always has a full house of rabid fans in San Diego but I get the impression she prefers playing in Europe where she is better known. I have quite a few bootleg audio recordings, Ryan, if you are interested.

Terry
Old 08-02-2007, 08:50 PM
llb

Thanks everybody for submitting a few words. I've loved her since Lone Justice and have always missed her in concert. I know there's another ledgie out there who went to the Philly show, but haven't seen their reply just yet. Anyway, yes, "Breathe" is an amazing song that can leave you speechless. Two thoughts, 1. I think Iovine was grooming her to be his next big female singer, but she rebelled against the 'machine', and 2. Maria doesn't realize how inspirational she really has been to some current voices, and that she can kick Brandi Carlisle's 'patooti', but kudos to Brandi for working her dreams.