Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Storm Donations Found at Official's Home

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...onations_hk2_2

Storm Donations Found at Official's Home

BATON ROUGE, La. - Police found cases of food, clothing and tools intended for hurricane victims at the home of the chief administrative officer for a New Orleans suburb, authorities said Wednesday.

Officers searched Cedric Floyd's home because of complaints that city workers were helping themselves to donations for hurricane victims. Floyd, who runs the day-to-day operations in the suburb of Kenner, was in charge of distributing the goods.

Police plan to seek a charge of committing an illegal act as a public official against Floyd, and more charges against other city workers are possible, police Capt. Steve Caraway said.

The donations filled a large pickup truck four times. "It was an awful lot of stuff," Caraway said.

The donated materials must be processed as evidence but eventually will be distributed to victims. "We have lots of families that are begging for these supplies," said Attorney General Charles Foti, whose office assisted in the investigation.

Attempts to reach Floyd were unsuccessful at home numbers listed under his name in Kenner. His office number went unanswered after business hours.

Philip Ramon, chief of staff to Kenner Mayor Philip Capitano, has said city officials were investigating the alleged pilfering but added that many employees were themselves hurricane victims.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

His staff was on Anderson Cooper late last week praising their "efforts" to the sky and saying that everything that was capable of being done was being done. I posted the transcripts in another thread. The people in Kenner have no shelter and haven't had one since the storm hit and now they're being stolen from. How disgusting.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention

His staff was on Anderson Cooper late last week praising their "efforts" to the sky and saying that everything that was capable of being done was being done. I posted the transcripts in another thread. The people in Kenner have no shelter and haven't had one since the storm hit and now they're being stolen from. How disgusting.
I wonder what his thought was. The stuff I saw on tv last night was stuff like Gatorade and other drinks. There appeared to be cases of snacks as well. This stuff is not really subject to resale or at least for any significant amount of money. It is just odd to say the least.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I know I was absolutely disgusted when I found this article! How could people, who were right in the middle of this devastation no less, take these donations and supplies?
Old 09-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
The donations filled a large pickup truck four times. "It was an awful lot of stuff," Caraway said.
that's messed up!!!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I wonder what his thought was. The stuff I saw on tv last night was stuff like Gatorade and other drinks. There appeared to be cases of snacks as well. This stuff is not really subject to resale or at least for any significant amount of money. It is just odd to say the least.
Those officials in Kenner are pure evil. Here are the the transcripts; the mayor seems like a real prick bastard.

September 16th: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...16/acd.01.html

COOPER: Well joining us live is one of the men you just saw passionately discussing things. The chief of police -- I'm being polite -- is Nick Congemi of the Kenner Police Department. We are pleased he joins us. Also joining us is Phil Ramone, Chief of Staff of the Kenner City Administration with the mayor's office. Gentleman, appreciate you both being with us. First of all, chief, what was the argument from your perspective about? You were concerned about housing for some Hispanic residents in your community.

CONGEMI: Yes. I felt that they were being discriminated against. I felt they were being forgotten. This was a group of people whose homes had been destroyed, whose apartments had been destroyed. And the city was taking a position that they were providing food. Well, food and water and ice is very simple. I was asking that the city provide these people with shelter. It makes no difference how much water, ice, and food you bring to them, they're still out on the street. They need a roof over their head. And I think the city has the capability --

COOPER: You're representing the city. Why don't they have a roof over their head?

PHIL RAMONE, CHIEF OF STAFF, KENNER CITY ADMIN.:
The city has been providing transportation and shelter needs for our entire community. We haven't discriminated against anyone.

COOPER: What about these people, though? Are they --

RAMONE: Chief Congemi has worked with this administration. We talked about it. And he adamantly opposed opening shelters in the city of Kenner. And Mayor Capitano opened a shelter and worked with Jefferson Parish to maintain two shelters. This community here that was hit, and very unfortunately lost most of their homes and roofs, we have been accommodating them to the best of our need, to the best of our ability.

COOPER: What does that mean? Because they're sleeping where they were living.

RAMONE: Providing food, water, and ice. We are looking --

COOPER: So they don't have a shelter.

RAMONE: There is no shelter being operated right now in the city of Kenner. And one of the problems we had in dealing with the shelter is that we did not get adequate police protection. That's not a derogatory remark against the chief. He doesn't have the manpower to provide us --

COOPER: But it sounds like, frankly, FEMA didn't even discover Kenner exists until last week sometime --

CONGEMI: That's ridiculous about the police protection. We have plenty of police protection. We have the 175th military police from Missouri that's stationed next to us. There's plenty of police protection. There's a lot of people -- you know, there's a misconception about these Hispanic people. The fire department decided to come over today, and they wanted to help dispense the meals, and they were calling us to provide protection. Well, these are law-abiding citizens. They've never created any problems. They have never created any crimes. They're good people.

COOPER: Well how many people are in need of shelter in Kenner right now? You know, I don't get why, almost three weeks after the storm, there's not a shelter for these people or any other people that want it.

RAMONE: We have been meeting with FEMA trying to get a disaster center opened in the city of Kenner, and we have not been able to do so.

COOPER: Do you buy that, that --

CONGEMI: It's all bull. We have people -- now, look. If you were standing here right now, and someone told you I'm going to give you food, water, and ice for the next 72 hours but you have to stand out in the elements for the next 30 to 90 days waiting for FEMA or anybody else to put a shelter over you, your family, and your children, I think it's absolutely ridiculous and it's sinful. And this city government should, at least, put these people inside of a gymnasium until they decide where they can go from there. These people do not even speak the language. They're totally lost.

COOPER: But the man in the argument was just saying that the sheriff has political ambitions. Do you believe politics is what's going on here?

RAMONE: I believe this is probably the worst type of politics I've ever witnessed. Chief Congemi and his office has done a fair job. Did a better than average job. But to say that the administration has turned a blind eye to any resident of that community is fact less and it's really irresponsible. I'm ashamed.

COOPER: Final thought to you.

CONGEMI: Well he's ashamed of everything. The truth of the matter is it has nothing to do with politics. Every time something comes up where there's a deficiency in city government they try to cast it off in some other area, calling it politics or something else. The true fact is, and you know it, is that they do not have shelter for these people. And it has absolutely nothing to do with politics.

COOPER: Well, I tell you what. We'd love to come out next week and drive around with both of you.

RAMONE: The chief ran unsuccessfully against the mayor last year and lost his bid for mayor and he's done --

COOPER: You say it's politics.

RAMONE: It's politics.

COOPER: I want to come out next week and visit both of you. Is that all right?

CONGEMI: Sure. Absolutely. Looking forward to it.

COOPER: We'll go around Kenner. Appreciate that.

September 19th: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...19/acd.01.html

COOPER: Well, Kenner is a city of about 70,000 people. That was before Hurricane Katrina. Three weeks after the storm, residents are returning home, but many of them find themselves caught in another storm. Take a look.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE) COOPER (voice-over): Step inside an apartment in the Redwood Park housing project in Kenner, Louisiana, and you'd better hold your breath.

(on camera): As you can see, I mean, there's a lot of water damage. There's mold all over the ceilings. And the smell, it's incredibly musty. It's hard to imagine anyone actually living inside here.

(voice-over): But hundreds of people are living in and around these apartments. They are poor, mostly Hispanic, and they have no where else in Kenner to go.

NICK CONGEMI, KENNER POLICE CHIEF: Not only is it a situation where they have just been forgotten, but they are exposed to these type of dangers to their immediate family and their children.

COOPER: The residents here get daily supplies of food and water, but Kenner's police chief, Nick Congemi says what they really need shelter. Michael McMyne, a city councilman says the mayor of Kenner should simply open one up.

MICHAEL MCMYNE, KENNER CITY COUNCIL: We have military in buildings, we have other police officers in gymnasiums, we have city workers with portable showers at City Hall and we can't do something for our people?

COOPER (on camera): There are shelters in Kenner for first responders, just not for actual citizens?

MCMYNE: Yes, absolutely. Correct.

CONGEMI: For some reason, there's this reluctance to open up gymnasiums or any other public building around here to house these people.

COOPER (voice-over): On Friday, the chief got into a shouting match with the city official. Accusing him of racism for ignoring the needs of Hispanic residents. The mayor declined to speak with us about the confrontation, but his chief of staff says they are doing all they can.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We opened up another shelter. The City of Kenner doesn't have the resources to maintain it. And FEMA has already told us that they will not be open in supporting shelters inside the affected areas. They have state shelters set up they are supporting right outside of the community.

COOPER: But the residents here don't want to be sent outside the community. In Kenner they found jobs, helping city businesses rebuild. On Saturday when the mayor's office sent a bus to relocate residents to a shelter, some 50 mile as way, no one got on. The bus left empty.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: They're making it too political now, you know. We've been here for, what, three weeks now? And we haven't seen no action, you know? What we want is a place to live.

MCMYNE: We can point fingers to FEMA and we can point fingers to the president, but it matters what we do here. They don't control our gyms, they don't control our facilities. We control them. All we have to do is open the door and get these people there and let them in, protect their health. My God, what's it going to take, someone dying?

(END VIDEOTAPE)

COOPER: Joining me now to talk more about what's happening here in Kenner is city councilman Michael McMyne. Appreciate you joining us again. Also resident Daphne Hernandez. You've been sleeping here the last three weeks or so. What is it like living here?

DAPHNE HERNANDEZ, KENNER RESIDENT: Well, we don't have electricity even though people about a block away do. We have very little running water. A lot of people -- we're getting in our apartment, we're getting mold really fast.

COOPER: Yeah, I mean, the mold is incredible. I don't know how you stay in those apartments.

HERNANDEZ: Well, it's not as bad in some of them. It all depends on where you're at. Some people have it a lot.

COOPER: What the city is saying we can send you to a shelter 50 mile as way. What's the problem with that?

HERNANDEZ: My dad works at Avondale and he started to work about a week ago. My job is opening up in two or three weeks.

COOPER: And that's in Kenner, right here.

HERNANDEZ: And that's right here. We want our jobs. We want to get some sort of normal life back. And I'm not going to do anything 50 miles away.

COOPER: And you're not looking for a handout, you're looking to just do your job.

HERNANDEZ: We just want a place to live. We just want a home. We've been living out of our cars. A lot of people here just came back from Houston to find nothing. And they don't have anywhere to go. And that's our main problem is we're being told you're going to have to get out. And we understand that. I mean, look at this place. But we need to be told at least somewhere close by to go to.

COOPER: Michael, you've been hearing this, you're a councilman. What's the city doing? Has the mayor come here?

MCMYNE: You know, to my understanding the mayor has not come. I have been trying to reach him since the second day after the storm about this situation.

COOPER: We called him four times today and invited him to appear. He chose not to.

MCMYNE: I've called him three times a day, left messages. My calls go unreturned. The one time I did talk with him he hung up on me.

COOPER: You call this Kenner's Superdome. What do you mean?

MCMYNE: This is Kenner's Superdome. The quality of life here is abysmal. There's no place to use the restroom. There is no place for them to shower. What we have to do is take a personal responsibility. Some people are saying it's politics. Take politics out of it. Make a personal plea to protect the lives and the integrity and the moral fiber of our city. And as long as we push these people off, we're telling them we don't want them here.

We have to open our arms.

COOPER: Why do you think there is not -- because there's a shelter for first responders, there's various gymnasiums that have been opened up. Why not a shelter for this group?

MCMYNE: The mayor's office says we can't staff it. We staffed it for first responders. So we certainly can get all the resources we need. The police chief is committed to continue feeding these families, so the food and the water is not a problem. We need a place for them to go. I'm making one final plea to put the politics aside and let's get this open.

COOPER: You're saying if the city doesn't do this, you're thinking about breaking into a gymnasium and opening it up for these ...

MCMYNE: I'm checking all legal options right now. I've been talking with attorneys all day about my responsibility. I don't want to shirk my legal responsibility as a councilman to protect the integrity of these lives and the protect these people. They are humans. These people need us.

COOPER: What about just putting politics aside? The mayor, said, oh the chief of police is only doing this because he wanted to be mayor and the chief -- this isn't about politics.

MCMYNE: You can cry politics all you want. This is humanity. Nobody's running for public office right now. This is not a political platform. This is about people's life, this is about their livelihoods, this is about everything they have.

COOPER: Here are most of these people going to sleep tonight?

HERNANDEZ: Well, a lot of these people (Spanish) -- people are sleeping in their cars. People are sleeping in their apartments. I know a lady that's sleeping in her hallway. This is the only place.

COOPER: Especially if Hurricane Rita does come, as a whole that's of the later this (ph). I wish you well.

HERNANDEZ: We're not hope it go goes to Texas, no because a lot of us were there.

COOPER: I know, you want to stay with your jobs here.

HERNANDEZ: He wanted us to go away.

COOPER: Councilman, appreciate you coming. Again, we invited the mayor on four or five times today. Again, we welcome him anytime. We'll come back here tomorrow night if he'd like, to come and talk to us.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^ Kenner is a pit of Hell - trust me on that.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^^^ Kenner is a pit of Hell - trust me on that.
I wish I could find screencaps or photos of when he was in the apartments that people were forced to live in. Mold was growing everywhere. Walls were falling down. The floors were bare concrete. Everything was flooded. One would think that these people have a duty to protect the people they were elected to serve, but that's not very American, I suppose.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wish I could find screencaps or photos of when he was in the apartments that people were forced to live in. Mold was growing everywhere. Walls were falling down. The floors were bare concrete. Everything was flooded. One would think that these people have a duty to protect the people they were elected to serve, but that's not very American, I suppose.

Oh -- I saw it and know where it is

They ought to put him under the jail.

Old 09-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was watching Hannity and Colmes (yes I do flip on FOX NEWS from time to time to see what kind of filth they are giving out)...and they were interviewing the leader of the Black Panthers (or some black rights group like that..)...and he actually believes that the Katrina disaster was meant to hurt black people. He said he has proof that the levees were blown up with some kind of bomb, just so blacks would be hurt. This man was truly smoking something, and was quite interesting to watch. It was just amazing to me how convinced he seemed, and how obvious it was that he had no idea how ignorant he was sounding. He believes the whole thing is a conspiracy by white people to eliminate the blacks.
They mentioned to him that a large portion of the donations coming from around the country, to help the people affected, likely came from white people--and he disputed that also.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShangriLaTroubl
I was watching Hannity and Colmes (yes I do flip on FOX NEWS from time to time to see what kind of filth they are giving out)...and they were interviewing the leader of the Black Panthers (or some black rights group like that..)...and he actually believes that the Katrina disaster was meant to hurt black people. He said he has proof that the levees were blown up with some kind of bomb, just so blacks would be hurt. This man was truly smoking something, and was quite interesting to watch. It was just amazing to me how convinced he seemed, and how obvious it was that he had no idea how ignorant he was sounding. He believes the whole thing is a conspiracy by white people to eliminate the blacks.
They mentioned to him that a large portion of the donations coming from around the country, to help the people affected, likely came from white people--and he disputed that also.
I think the reverse is true in the Fox puts him on to show people that all black people are that dumb, which is rubbish.

Old 09-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Someone's got an ax to grind.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think the reverse is true in the Fox puts him on to show people that all black people are that dumb, which is rubbish.

Well the motives of Fox to have this man on, are of course disputable....but the man himself was no less an idiot because of that. Of course I know that most black people or most people of any race are not as ignorant as this man.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShangriLaTroubl
He's not the first to say that about the levees being bombed, that was the big thing being discussed by people in the Astrodome.

Old 09-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He's not the first to say that about the levees being bombed, that was the big thing being discussed by people in the Astrodome.
He claims he got his "inside info" from some big preacher who got his info from a high up official in the New Orleans city government, and even mentioned the mayor, but then quickly backed off..He would not reveal his "source" although, and got very angry when they wanted him to make a public statement that the mayor told him this had happened, as he had insinuated...