Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default My poor kitty :(

my cat O'Brien has been missing in action for a couple of days and now I know why. He tangled with something that made his tooth jut straight out front like a tusk. I opened his mouth to see if I could push the tooth back but it looks like the whole root and everything is displaced. I dont know what to do, I cant afford the freakin vet but I dont want him to get an infection....I dont see any blood or anything and hes purring and not in any apparent pain but thats gotta be miserable...

here's a quick pic:

Last edited by irishgrl; 10-23-2006 at 02:17 PM..
Old 10-23-2006, 07:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Aw, poor thing. Looks miserable. If he's not hurting, I'd say forget the vet. Last time I went, he put me in debt.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1998 View Post
Aw, poor thing. Looks miserable. If he's not hurting, I'd say forget the vet. Last time I went, he put me in debt.
well, Im torn, because Im not sure if it should be pulled or what....he just wolfed down a can of wet cat food so he has his appetite and he was purring and kneading on my blanket (and me!) so he seems to be in ok spirits, but Im thinking something needs to be done? I'd like it best of all if it could be pushed back or maybe surgically put back into its rightful place....
Old 10-23-2006, 08:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

oh I'm so sorry. I hope he's not in any pain. good luck.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers View Post
oh I'm so sorry. I hope he's not in any pain. good luck.
thanks hon....I called my mom and gave her all the gory details, and she seems to think nature will take care of it.. especially since he isnt acting like he's hurt in fact, he just went back outside...
Old 10-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Ledgie

I hope your cat is ok.... can I just say though, that I have read that cats can purr because of distress as well as contentment etc...

I would keep an eye on his mouth over the next day or so and maybe if its dislodged (the tooth), it may be better to actually pull it out... I know that sounds gross but I think (and it is only my thought, Im not an expert or anything!) but I think that if you pull it out it is less likely to get an infection from stuff getting into the gum under the tooth.. does that make sense... I would ideally recommend the vet.. as the mouth is a very sensitive area and cats are unable to tell you if they are in pain...

a few years back, my cat was drooling all the time.. . no other symptoms, no hint of pain...was eating wet food and dry food... but he was starting to drool excessively... I took him to the vet and it turned out that he had pretty badly infected gums and had to have them cauterised.. he is fine now... but the vet said that he would have been in pain even though it didnt seem like he was...

Maybe give your cat a chicken neck or something to chew on and see if nature takes its course and the tooth comes out naturally... Good LUck!!! Hope he gets better!!!
c ya
sammi

visit our website:http://www.fleetwoodtothemax.com
Old 10-23-2006, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

HUGE cat lover here. I'm so sorry to hear about your kittie. My 2 cents: I would take him to the vet. Only because, I know with humans, anything to do with the teeth, HURT.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: bouncing off the wall at you. being defined by the applause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl View Post
my cat O'Brien has been missing in action for a couple of days and now I know why. He tangled with something that made his tooth jut straight out front like a tusk. I opened his mouth to see if I could push the tooth back but it looks like the whole root and everything is displaced. I dont know what to do, I cant afford the freakin vet but I dont want him to get an infection....I dont see any blood or anything and hes purring and not in any apparent pain but thats gotta be miserable...

here's a quick pic:
TAKE HIS ASS TO THE VET!!! NOW!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think you should take him to the vet. My dog lost the exact same tooth on the other side. According to the vet, they arent' that important of teeth (I thought they would be, being canines and all) but she asked me "how often does murray go out in the wild and chase a gazelle or antelope" As far a I knew, only once a month.

but seriously, she said they don't use those as much, becuase they are for tearing, and most of them eat "catfood/dogfood" etc.

But now you're looking at a possible infection and just the fact, if the tooth is loose, it's going to keep the area aggravated if it stays mobile (remember when you were a kid and had a loose baby tooth) If you can pull part of it out, and then take him in-they will probably just inspect him/her and give antibiotic (at least that's what they did for Murray) she said that is a VERY long tooth..(for dogs anyway) and the extraction will more than likely do more harm than good. Unless the antibiotic didn't help the healing process. I hope everthing works out and Kisses to your kitty.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Where's Miss Vicky when you need her?

I wouldn't mess around with teeth - too risky as far as infection, abscess, being close to sinuses, etc. Better to take him now, hopefully they can just pull it & give him an antibiotic, as opposed to ending up with major complications later.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

well guys, I appreciate the advice and I think the vet is the best thing to do...but Im flat broke AND he wanted out so I let him go now I cant find him...If he comes back in, I will take him to the vet up the road and pray I can make payments...
Old 10-23-2006, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
well guys, I appreciate the advice and I think the vet is the best thing to do...but Im flat broke AND he wanted out so I let him go now I cant find him...If he comes back in, I will take him to the vet up the road and pray I can make payments...
surely they'll work something out for you. or you can put it on a credit card and pay it off when you can.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
surely they'll work something out for you. or you can put it on a credit card and pay it off when you can.
all my cards are maxxed. I ran them up to pay for food when my ex didnt pay me childcare $$$. He owes me over $2K. my best friend now buys my groceries for me. Im broker than the 10 Commandments. seriously. but I will beg and plead and see where that gets me.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
all my cards are maxxed. I ran them up to pay for food when my ex didnt pay me childcare $$$. He owes me over $2K. my best friend now buys my groceries for me. Im broker than the 10 Commandments. seriously. but I will beg and plead and see where that gets me.
oh chit. sorry. it'll work out. don't worry.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
oh chit. sorry. it'll work out. don't worry.
pray for O'Brien for me will ya? Thanks