Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Depression Meds

As I'm sure I've mentioned before I've battled severe deperssion for most if not all of my adult life. One of the things I've found difficult is finding the appropriate med or combo thereof to help me. When I was with my now ex Derek I was on Selexa, Wellbutrin, and Buspar. (I know, a real ****in lunatic right?) Anyway, after we broke up I didnt take any for awhile and of course that most definitely affected me, and not in a good way at all. When I'm not on meds I'm very prone to mood swings where i'll go off on friends without provocation. I decided last summer that I had to go on them again or I would become a complete trainwreck. I went to see the Psychaiatrist and she put me back on Selexa because she told me that helps with both anxeity and depression. I was also really freaked out because about a month before I went into see her I suffered a terrible enxeity attack where I honestly thought I was having a heart attack it was that bad. I have anxeity attacks about 2-3 times a year and they usually last about 15 minutes but this one lasted for almost 90 minuntes. Anyway, Since Ive been on this Selexa, I've noticed a huge difference in my demeanor. I dont go off at all like I used to and the anxeity attacks have stopped completely. I started on 20mg a day, then 40, now I'm up to 60. Whats weird is that when I was on the trifecta of meds back a few years ago I dont remember it helping me as much as just being on the one has. I know alot of you dont want to discuss a topic like this as it relates to your personal life, but if anyone cares to, I'd love to know what you take and what works for you. Thank you.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Prozac. And La Mer of course.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:37 PM
vivfox
This message has been deleted by vivfox.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey David! Long time no see. What is most important is how YOU respond to what you are taking. There's no cookie-cutter medicine that works for everyone, unfortunately. Some meds work together to give a more powerful response and (as you saw) some drugs work against each other... but just because this happens in some people doesnt mean that it will happen for everyone. I know a lot of people respond well with Lexapro as well for anxiety/depression symptoms - to the best of my knowledge, its the drug of choice for your combo of symptoms but it all boils down to what the doctor like the best, what is covered by your insurance, and ultimately what you will respond to the best. If Celexa is what does the trick for you, just stick to it and take it faithfully as instructed. I'm glad you were proactive and got the help you needed.

Last edited by WildHeart69; 01-30-2010 at 02:28 PM..
Old 01-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart69 View Post
Hey David! Long time no see. What is most important is how YOU respond to what you are taking. There's no cookie-cutter medicine that works for everyone, unfortunately. Some meds work together to give a more powerful response and (as you saw) some drugs work against each other... but just because this happens in some people doesnt mean that it will happen for everyone. I know a lot of people respond well with Lexapro as well for anxiety/depression symptoms - to the best of my knowledge, its the drug of choice for your combo of symptoms but it all boils down to what the doctor like the best, what is covered by your insurance, and ultimately what you will respond to the best. If Celexa is what does the trick for you, just stick to it and take it faithfully as instructed. I'm glad you were proactive and got the help you needed.
Wow Mike, what nice things to say! You're really a good guy thank you.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
As I'm sure I've mentioned before I've battled severe deperssion for most if not all of my adult life. One of the things I've found difficult is finding the appropriate med or combo thereof to help me. ... I'd love to know what you take and what works for you. Thank you.
Don't misunderstand but have you tried therapy? I'm all about the pharmaceuticals when it comes to mental issues such as depression; but just the same, if I have my facts straight, studies have shown that therapy "in conjunction with" the meds is more effective than the meds alone. Just a thought that occurred to me, that's all.

P.S. - but on the flip side - - - Well, I'm no psychiatrist, but I heard a few years back that a long-term study had shown that people going through "Analysis" had WORSENED after a few years, compared to a "control" group that had no Psychoanalysis. It gave them a short-term "bump" upwards, but made them WORSE over the long run. At least, according to that one study. So 'ya gotta be careful.

P.S. II - I almost forgot to mention -

Take one dose of Gypsy, one does of Angel, and one dose of Unconditional Love and download some Mac in the morning...

Last edited by Ghost_Tracker; 01-30-2010 at 06:00 PM..
Old 01-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker View Post
Don't misunderstand but have you tried therapy? I'm all about the pharmaceuticals when it comes to mental issues such as depression; but just the same, if I have my facts straight, studies have shown that therapy "in conjunction with" the meds is more effective than the meds alone. Just a thought that occurred to me, that's all.

P.S. - but on the flip side - - - Well, I'm no psychiatrist, but I heard a few years back that a long-term study had shown that people going through "Analysis" had WORSENED after a few years, compared to a "control" group that had no Psychoanalysis. It gave them a short-term "bump" upwards, but made them WORSE over the long run. At least, according to that one study. So 'ya gotta be careful.

Take one dose of Gypsy, one does of Angel, and one dose of Unconditional Love and download some Mac in the morning...
Do you remember where you found this study?
Old 01-31-2010, 01:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

FYI, celexa and lexapro are essentially the same thing. Technically, lexapro is just the "purified" enantiomer of celexa, i.e., just the pharmacologically active form of the molecule. There is no evidence that one works any better or worse than the other; however, there may be fewer side effects with lexapro.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I try to be careful about who I discuss this with...there are a lot of people who judge people on psychiatric medication, or even who are just in therapy, as weak-minded, unreliable, or simply "crazy."

That being said...

Several months ago, I started having panic attacks. Bad ones. I spent the better part of a month convinced that I had every dread disease under the sun: heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, brain tumor, MS, kidney failure, liver failure, etc. I had two doctors tell me they didn't see anything physically wrong, and finally my therapist referred me to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with panic disorder (and ADD). I'm on Zoloft (and the very occasional Xanax) for panic/anxiety, and Adderall (very low dosage - 10-20 mg - but it works wonders...should've been on it 15 years ago) for the ADD. Zoloft, I take 50 mg a day, and the panic attacks have practically disappeared. Side effects have been minimal with both meds.

I guess I don't really understand why people go off their meds. Is it because of the side effects?
Old 01-31-2010, 03:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I am actually in therapy and have been for 6 months. That has helped me too. One thing I always tell my therapist is dont tell me things I wanna hear tell me things I NEED to hear. She's really good in that way.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
I try to be careful about who I discuss this with...there are a lot of people who judge people on psychiatric medication, or even who are just in therapy, as weak-minded, unreliable, or simply "crazy."
You know what thats really sad that anyone would judge you or anyone else for bringing something like this up in any setting. I have never been afraid to discuss things like this as they relate to my personal life because I believe if I can help someone else understand their problem my talking about mine then maybe they wont be as afraid to bring up something that bothers them to someone they think they can trust, whomever that might be.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
no, ya gotta be careful about making reckless claims that you likely can't back up with actual research.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The therapeutic effect of the Swiss exercise ball cannot be overstated in any discussion of depression & anxiety.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The therapeutic effect of the Swiss exercise ball cannot be overstated in any discussion of depression & anxiety.

I have one of these too.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^
One day a few years ago an exercise ball just as you see above appeared in our backyard, (except our's is red). Anyway it didn't just roll into the yard because the fence that surrounds the yard is 6 feet high. We also live on the corner house, so it's not like it bounced in either. My kids and I asked some of our surrounding neighbors if it was theirs, and we even left it out on the front lawn for like a week for whomever lost it to come and get it. Well nobody claimed it so my children named, yes named it Steve for some reason, and we have had it ever since. Don't know why Steve came into our yard or our lives for that matter, but we have all enjoyed that ball at one time or another, for whatever reason. Sometimes we question things to much. Not everything is meant to have an explanation. We just need to roll with life, and find what works for us, whatever that may be. Not everyone will understand nor should they. Internal happiness is where it's at. What ever it takes.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
I have one of these too.
I had one of those... but I found it popped on Saras' bedroom floor a couple years ago.