Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tennis anyone?

No, this thread has nothing to do with Wimbledon.

Well I just got back from "playing tennis" with someone -it's in quotes because our game was a complete joke - I suck and my partner's only experience with tennis has been watching a lot of it and playing tennis video games We had fun anyway.

Then I went for a run with my dog in the park...

Yesterday I went to a batting cage and hit some balls. I've been unusually sporty as of late and am even on a waiting list to join a softball team!

So any other sporty Ledgies out there?

Last edited by DrummerDeanna; 07-03-2005 at 09:06 PM..
Old 07-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Federer and -- Venus RULES!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw her in Greece last Summer on the Parthenon - she is amazing!!!!!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-03-2005, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Federer and -- Venus RULES!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw her in Greece last Summer on the Parthenon - she is amazing!!!!!!!!!

Yeah actual tennis players freak me out - they are just so good!! And they're pretty fun to watch...though I haven't watched any recent matches.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree Jason, I <3 Roger Federer.

I nevr played tennis, but I like to watch it.

As for softball, well, it's just the best sport ever. You'll have fun playing.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am known as something of a tennis fanatic - hence the quotes in my sig. While in college I did independent study & a symposium on women's tennis & feminism, and I played about every day. I even cut class fto see the Australian Open, a tourney I can't stand. I have tennis things hanging around me & several books. Courting Danger is my favorite feel-good book, though some fans now claim that Alice Marble was a delusional old woman who made up all these amazing stories and presented them as real. I choose to think of them as real.
At present I can't play - I've struggled with a wrist injury for nine years, and i am on medication for a very bad back.
Last week I talked with my friend Pat about hitting the cages after my back heals, but I don't know when that will be. The twisting could be the worst thing.
So these days tennis is for viewing & all I do is weights.
BTW, Gabriela Sabatini runs rings around Kournikova in terms of hotness.

- Jake
Old 07-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't play tennis but I do play raquetball two or three times a week... I'm not sure how they compare as far as physical exertion.

I've been watching a bit of Wimbledon... I'm fascinated by the grunting from the female players. It must help their game because they all seem to do it.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfanken
I don't play tennis but I do play raquetball two or three times a week... I'm not sure how they compare as far as physical exertion.

I've been watching a bit of Wimbledon... I'm fascinated by the grunting from the female players. It must help their game because they all seem to do it.
Fifteen years ago they all complained about Seles. Now most of them do it (granted, not with the same panache). The grunting releases breath, letting the hitter exert more power. Opponents claim that it's a ploy to keep them from hearing the ball hit the strings. Hearing that supposedly lets them predict the nature of the shot.

- Jake
Old 07-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I do it too Always have My friend Frankie, who I used to play with back home, always made fun of me for that - then he started fake-grunting just to mock me...whatever - I just automatically do it - I don't think about it or whatever - it just comes out
Old 07-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I never mastered raquetball - but I tried. I think being 6'4" and a defensive tackle at the time may have had a bit to do with it -- I will say this though - raquetball and ballet helped my find my center of gravity in my ass

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-03-2005, 11:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I played tennis in junior high & just couldn't get into it. I was a decent player, but couldn't stand the start-stop-wait-repeat nature of the game. I like watching it sometimes, tho.

So, I made up my own game, and have a ball playing it with friends & my nephew. I call it Elevennis. The object is to get the ball across the net at all costs, but only using your racquet. Hit it 52 times? Legal. Hit it off the backboard and/or fence? Legal. Make it ricochet off your partners' forehead? Legal. As long as the ball is bouncing and on your side of the net, it's fair game. When it rolls or someone knocks it out of the court or over the fence, it's dead, and the opposing player/team gets a point. Play to 20, or the total of your choice.

You get a much better workout, and some of the tactics people use to return the ball are hilarious. Even more so if you take a cooler of beer. It's also fun to get 3 or 4 people on each team, and spread out over two courts, if you have access to such a setup. We also played in costume one year close to Halloween, and attracted a crowd of belly-laughing spectators by game's end.

Try it!!!

Last edited by Nixxxed; 07-03-2005 at 11:29 PM..
Old 07-03-2005, 11:35 PM
CreepingDeath
This message has been deleted by CreepingDeath.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hate sports.

except Swimming.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:40 PM
CreepingDeath
This message has been deleted by CreepingDeath.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I played a lot in high school (not on a team though--just for fun) and haven't picked up a racket since, unfortunately. I didn't get to watch much of Wimbledon this year but usually, I will watch it if it's on (especially if Roddick is playing )

I played softball for years and soccer for most of my life. I took gymnastics in my early days and danced tap and jazz as well as clogging (yes, I know) from age 3 to age 12. I also took baton. I've never really thought of myself as "sporty" but now that I think back to all I've done throughout the years, I suppose I was.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenStateGirlie
I played a lot in high school (not on a team though--just for fun) and haven't picked up a racket since, unfortunately. I didn't get to watch much of Wimbledon this year but usually, I will watch it if it's on (especially if Roddick is playing )

I played softball for years and soccer for most of my life. I took gymnastics in my early days and danced tap and jazz as well as clogging (yes, I know) from age 3 to age 12. I also took baton. I've never really thought of myself as "sporty" but now that I think back to all I've done throughout the years, I suppose I was.

Well I played tee-ball when I was little - but I had a bad experience - someone threw a ball and it hit me square in the mouth - knocked out my two front teeth

My mom made me go to a ballet/tap dance class - I HATED it.

HATED it.

I just don't have a dancing gene - and I was chubby. ugh. The only thing I remember from that class was one day she kept tellign us to start -so all th elittle girls would start dancing - I? just looked down at my nails and proceeded to try and get some orange goo out of them (I'd just eaten an orange). The teacher kept doing this - and each time I refused to dance and would simply revert back to my nails - finally she dragged me off the dance floor and took me to her kitchen and scrubbed my hands SO hard I hated dance class.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I played Badminton with a few friends yesterday. We stink! We could barely get the birdie going. We did not have much luck playing volleyball with a beach ball either. We were all sports challenged.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshWitchPMD
I played Badminton with a few friends yesterday. We stink! We could barely get the birdie going. We did not have much luck playing volleyball with a beach ball either. We were all sports challenged.
I'd love to meet the person who designed the birdie in the first place. Not one of the more obvious or user-friendly shapes in life.

- Jake