The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:46 PM
Ledgie

Question Help: F.M., Rumours and Tusk CD versions...

I was wondering if a well versed soul could break down the differences in the mixes found on the three recent remasters of Fleetwood Mac, Rumours and Tusk vs. the original CD releases.

I would appreciate any input! Thanks.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:20 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Talking

By the way, I love your avatar!

Anyways...here's just a small breakdown of each album based on what I can remember without re-listening to them one by one.

FLEETWOOD MAC--The mix is surprisingly warm and significantly louder. Blue Letter is finally the rocker is was meant to be. The single version of "Say You Love Me" has more electric guitar riffs in it replacing a lot of the banjo sound. The single version of Rhiannon differs from the regular version in that it doesn't end with that outro guitar solo of Lindsey's. It just fades out with Stevie singing "Dreams unwind, loves a state a mind..."

RUMOURS--None of the tracks stand out as far as being mixed differently here. Why mess with perfection right? I noticed a drastic difference to the ending of Gold Dust Woman. There are a lot more really odd "screeching" and "moaning" sounds. It's cool though...its adds much more darkness to the song. The Chain sounds really good...the dB level was ALWAYS too low on that song. I wish they had made "Never Going Back Again" sound like the DVD-Audio version with the electric guitar swells and the light brushing drum beats.

TUSK--This is probably the best of the remasters considering the wealth of bonus stuff. "Sara" sounds great at just over 6 minutes long. Listen to it thru headphones...its one of the most underrated love-lost songs of all time. The 9 minute demo version of Sara is great because you can hear the "whole story." I still prefer the album version of "Sisters of the Moon" rather than the single version. It just rocks a little more, and the ending doesnt fade out. "Never Forget" and "I Know I'm Not Wrong" sound terrific, finally! The rough cut of "Farmers Daughter" is a favorite of mine; those harmonies can't be beat!

On a final note, they are ALL worth buying.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

One thing I noticed about the Rumours remaster was that the drum tracks seemed really strong. Maybe this has something to do with the drum track problems that you hear about on the Making of Rumours DVD, or maybe it's just that my other copy of Rumours was burnt.

Anyone else notice this?
Old 07-01-2004, 02:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
On a final note, they are ALL worth buying.
I totally agree with that, they are amazing, I hadn't had any previos versions of any of the albums because I'm new to it but I think they are great. I totaly love the TUSK one I think it is great but I also love POTU and DAL on the Rumours bonus disc.

Tynan
Old 07-01-2004, 10:05 AM
Ledgie

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon
Anyways...here's just a small breakdown of each album based on what I can remember without re-listening to them one by one....
Thanks for your response. I know that in the 80's when these albums were first put on CD, they were remixed for the occasion... "Gold Dust Woman" lost it's fade in and received a longer fade-out...and some of Lindsey's songs on Tusk were altered... differences like that. Now I'm having a hard time telling which has what mix...

I believe on the remasters GDW has been restored to the original vinyl mix, but then "That's Enough For Me" sounded like it was the CD mix again, *goes crosseyed* lol.

Maybe there were in depth discussions regarding this sort of thing when they came out, but I couldn't find it in the old posts.

Quote:
By the way, I love your avatar!
Yours is great too. It looks all Simpsons-y.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Ledgie

Talking

*said a'la Patsy Stone* Help me you bitches!

I know JohnnyStew knows this kind of thing...
Old 07-01-2004, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oooh Missionary
...then "That's Enough For Me" sounded like it was the CD mix again...
I think "I Know I'm Not Wrong" has the CD mix reused in the reissues, not "That's Enough For Me".
I think these days that it was Lindsey's idea to use that different mix for the CD reissue back in the '80s, since the band features those choral Buckinghams in the chorus of "IKINW" when they do it live on stage.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 07-01-2004, 07:55 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
I think "I Know I'm Not Wrong" has the CD mix reused in the reissues, not "That's Enough For Me".
I think these days that it was Lindsey's idea to use that different mix for the CD reissue back in the '80s, since the band features those choral Buckinghams in the chorus of "IKINW" when they do it live on stage.
The saddest thing is I was all excited recording "TEFM" from my vinyl last night...I was convinced it was different. LOL.

Thanks.