The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-07-2004, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Saw David Bowie in Phoenix Thursday...

Okay, all I have to say is...WOW!!!!! What a truly excellent show, probably one of the best I've ever seen. He still looks and sounds AMAZING, and was so giving and interactive with the crowd. He played stuff throughout his entire catalogue and closed out the evening with an encore coming straight out of Ziggy Stardust: "Suffragette City", "Ziggy Stardust"..., and Hang Onto Yourself." The highlights were of course the encore, I'm Afraid of Americans, Cactus, and the the songs from Reality. They played a good chunk of songs of that album, the title song RAWKED and "Days" was very poignant. His band is amazing, really tight and professional---I was truly blown away by this show. Anyone else who has ever seen Bowie in concert will know what I'm talking about. I am still reeling from this show!! David Bowie is only getting better with age!!! What a truly magical night!!

Old 02-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's fantastic!!! I'm so glad you had a good time and I'm THRILLED that he's still doing Cactus!!! Did he perform Rebel Rebel, Bring Me the Disco King, and Pablo Picasso? I'm hope so because I'm going to see him soon.

Disco King rocks, for all those who haven't heard it.

Old 02-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Saw David Bowie in Phoenix Thursday...

Quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller
Okay, all I have to say is...WOW!!!!! What a truly excellent show, probably one of the best I've ever seen. He still looks and sounds AMAZING, and was so giving and interactive with the crowd. He played stuff throughout his entire catalogue and closed out the evening with an encore coming straight out of Ziggy Stardust: "Suffragette City", "Ziggy Stardust"..., and Hang Onto Yourself." The highlights were of course the encore, I'm Afraid of Americans, Cactus, and the the songs from Reality. They played a good chunk of songs of that album, the title song RAWKED and "Days" was very poignant. His band is amazing, really tight and professional---I was truly blown away by this show. Anyone else who has ever seen Bowie in concert will know what I'm talking about. I am still reeling from this show!! David Bowie is only getting better with age!!! What a truly magical night!!

He's one I'd go see.
Thanks for the review.
(Phoenix, eh? Do the big acts still skip Austin?)

- Jake
Old 02-08-2004, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
That's fantastic!!! I'm so glad you had a good time and I'm THRILLED that he's still doing Cactus!!! Did he perform Rebel Rebel, Bring Me the Disco King, and Pablo Picasso? I'm hope so because I'm going to see him soon.

Disco King rocks, for all those who haven't heard it.
Here's the setlist, or what I can remember of it, most of it isn't in order:

Rebel Rebel (FANTASTIC opener by the way)
Cactus
Fame
China Girl (really amazed he did this one)
Heroes
Ashes to Ashes
Be My Wife
Days
Reality
Looking For Water
I'm Afraid of Americans
Another song off of Earthling (can't remember the name, sorry!)
The first song off of Heathen (again, can't remember the name....)
Under Pressure
All The Young Dudes
An instrumental song from "Low"
The Man Who Sold The World

Encore:
Life on Mars
Hang Onto Yourself
Suffragette City
Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars

I'm sure I forgot some stuff but that's the majority of the songs.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Saw David Bowie in Phoenix Thursday...

Quote:
Originally posted by darklinensuit
He's one I'd go see.
Thanks for the review.
(Phoenix, eh? Do the big acts still skip Austin?)

- Jake
Ha, ha!! Of course David skipped Austin, I'm sure he played Dallas though, but I'm not totally sure. My sister (an even bigger Bowie fan than me) lives in Phoenix and of course we had to see this show together so I decided to fly to where she is for a change.

Plus, I really like Phoenix, I always get a good Stevie vibe when I'm there like "oooh, I might see her out shopping or something!" (god, I would DIE!!) even though she's still on tour! Oh well, a person can dream can't they?
Old 02-09-2004, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Saw David Bowie in Phoenix Thursday...

Quote:

Plus, I really like Phoenix, I always get a good Stevie vibe when I'm there like "oooh, I might see her out shopping or something!" (god, I would DIE!!) even though she's still on tour! Oh well, a person can dream can't they?
Oh, do you shop at Blackdresses R Us?

- Jake
Old 02-09-2004, 12:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm just imagining a store in swanky Scottsdale, AZ called "Black Dresses R Us" complete with a backwards R like "Toys R Us" and rolling with laughter!! .
Old 02-09-2004, 12:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm just imagining a store in swanky Scottsdale, AZ called "Black Dresses R Us" complete with a backwards R like "Toys R Us" and rolling with laughter!! .
Don't forget the sign in the window offering a special deal on sending out your Reeblechs to be dyed to match the dress.
(Can you tell I sold women's shoes for about three miserable months in my younger life?)

- Jake of All Trades
Old 02-09-2004, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wow. Talk about a fast turn-around. Bowie will be performing at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre a day or two before Fleetwood Mac next week. I guess he doesn't require a Hawaiin 'acclimitization' period :P
Old 02-09-2004, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Here's the setlist, or what I can remember of it, most of it isn't in order:

Cactus
Fame
China Girl (really amazed he did this one)
Heroes
Ashes to Ashes
Be My Wife
Days
Reality
Looking For Water
I'm Afraid of Americans
Another song off of Earthling (can't remember the name, sorry!)
The first song off of Heathen (again, can't remember the name....)
Under Pressure
All The Young Dudes
An instrumental song from "Low"
The Man Who Sold The World

Encore:
Life on Mars
Hang Onto Yourself
Suffragette City
Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars

I'm sure I forgot some stuff but that's the majority of the songs.

No Disco King! LOL

I am *thrilled* that he did China Girl; that's my favorite Bowie song ever. AND he played Sunday from Heathen?! FANATSTIC!!!

You know what he really needs to resurrect? Beauty and the Beast. That's one of my favorites and he hasn't done it in twenty years.

Old 02-09-2004, 09:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Have you heard his "new" version of Rebel Rebel? It's on the second disc of the limited edition version of Reality.

Old 02-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He did Disco King at my show in Chicago last month! He also did an AMAZING version of "Slip-Away" from Heathen at ours. We had the second longest set of any of his shows, and he did SO much crazy stuff, including several songs off Low. His cover of the Underground's "White Light White Heat" was awesome, so was... "The Man Who Sold the World" (which the goth kids next to me recognized as 'dude, he's doing a Nirvana cover!')

We had a brief grip and grin after the show, and he...is...BEAUTIFUL. All I could do was go cross-eyed and tell him I loved his jacket.

That new version of "Rebel Rebel" was originally on the Charlie's Angels Full Throttle soundtrack this summer... it's AWESOME.

Edit: I almost forgot! He did "China Girl" AND "Let's Dance" at my show, and while I'm not a huge fan of that era and album, Let's Dance was AWESOME- it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen on stage. The night before my show he did "Modern Love"- it would've been hilarious to get all three of those songs in one night!
Old 02-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention

No Disco King! LOL

I am *thrilled* that he did China Girl; that's my favorite Bowie song ever. AND he played Sunday from Heathen?! FANATSTIC!!!

You know what he really needs to resurrect? Beauty and the Beast. That's one of my favorites and he hasn't done it in twenty years.
Agreed - also, I love "Let's Dance" and "Blue Jean" - but I guess he cannot play them all!!!!

Also, I LOVE that Scottie in your banner - as you know I have three Scottie dogs myself~!!!!

As I have said many times and in the past had in my signature here, Barney the Scottie is one of the better things about the White House - Long Live Barney the Scottie.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Agreed - also, I love "Let's Dance" and "Blue Jean" - but I guess he cannot play them all!!!!

Also, I LOVE that Scottie in your banner - as you know I have three Scottie dogs myself~!!!!

As I have said many times and in the past had in my signature here, Barney the Scottie is one of the better things about the White House - Long Live Barney the Scottie.
Blue Jean rocks. Let's not forget about "I Took A Trip In A Gemini Spaceship." I totally dig that song.

As for that Scottie, I was scratching my head for a minute, but then I got it.

Old 02-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by hayley
He did Disco King at my show in Chicago last month! He also did an AMAZING version of "Slip-Away" from Heathen at ours. We had the second longest set of any of his shows, and he did SO much crazy stuff, including several songs off Low. His cover of the Underground's "White Light White Heat" was awesome, so was... "The Man Who Sold the World" (which the goth kids next to me recognized as 'dude, he's doing a Nirvana cover!')

We had a brief grip and grin after the show, and he...is...BEAUTIFUL. All I could do was go cross-eyed and tell him I loved his jacket.

That new version of "Rebel Rebel" was originally on the Charlie's Angels Full Throttle soundtrack this summer... it's AWESOME.

Edit: I almost forgot! He did "China Girl" AND "Let's Dance" at my show, and while I'm not a huge fan of that era and album, Let's Dance was AWESOME- it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen on stage. The night before my show he did "Modern Love"- it would've been hilarious to get all three of those songs in one night!
What a lucky **** you are.