Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default What's their favorite song

I've been asking myself, sinds they never play more songs in the past what Lindsey, Stevie etc songs are.

Will
Old 12-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumperke View Post
I've been asking myself, sinds they never play more songs in the past what Lindsey, Stevie etc songs are.

Will
Lindsey answered a recent fan question and said his favorite song to play is ISA, followed by NGBA, BL, and Tusk.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Aside from what they play, I would just love to know their favourite music in general. I know Lindsey compiled a list of "must listen to" artists for Amazon a while ago, but I'd love to know what songs spur him on to enjoy life a bit more. And, rather selfishly of course, I'd just like to find out what he thinks of the artists I like lol.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie's mentioned recently how much she loves E.T. by Katy Perry. And, at the Grammy Museum Q&A she listed 3 songs she would put in a time capsule: James Taylor - Fire and Rain, The Beatles - Yesterday and Kenny Loggins - Danny’s Song. In a Q&A on her website she named these songs that "touched her heart": Fire and Rain by James Taylor, Your Song by Elton John, Missing You by John Waits, Hello, It's Me by Todd Rundgren.

Her itunes playlist:

I listen to this collection 2 hours before I go on stage.

1. "That's The Way Love Goes" by Janet Jackson

2. "Angel of Mine (Radio Mix)" by Monica: "I love this song. I would like to record it."

3. "Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand" by Primitive Radio Gods: "A song from the past. Brings back good memories."

4. "Tender Love" by Force M.D.'s: "This was one of my favorite songs in 1985."

5. "This Woman's Work" by Maxwell: "This woman's song (Kate Bush) done magnificently by a man."

6. "Your Body Is a Wonderland" by John Mayer: "I sing the high harmony all the way thru. This song makes me happy."

7. "Go Deep" by Janet Jackson

8. "A Thousand Miles" by Vanessa Carlton: "This song is one of my favorites. It led to a great friendship with Vanessa"

9. "Cry Me a River" by Justin Timberlake: "This song and video remind me of Lindsey and I a long time ago."

10. "What Goes Around.../...Comes Around Interlude" by Justin Timberlake: "This song is just part two of 'Cry Me A River' – a double great moment."

11. "7 Days" by Craig David: "This song is really fun to sing along with once you memorize the words."
Old 12-05-2011, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie's list of fave songs is pretty safe and kind of boring, to be honest. Just my opinion.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 12-05-2011, 07:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Stevie's list of fave songs is pretty safe and kind of boring, to be honest. Just my opinion.
The playlist songs or the others? Or both?
Old 12-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Supporting Ledgie

I remember in the SYW tour book the interviewer asked the band which songs they "never get tired of playing"... anyone got the tourbook handy?
Old 12-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post

1. "That's The Way Love Goes" by Janet Jackson

5. "This Woman's Work" by Maxwell: "This woman's song (Kate Bush) done magnificently by a man."

11. "7 Days" by Craig David: "This song is really fun to sing along with once you memorize the words."
I love that Janet song - that whole janet. album is brilliant - and it would be so brilliantly random if Stevie recorded it! In fact, I was slightly disappointed that Lindsey's song on his new album wasn't a cover of it - haha.

Nothing beats Kate's version of This Woman's Work - it's absolutely beautiful.

Craig David? Oh, Stevie... no.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I remember in the SYW tour book the interviewer asked the band which songs they "never get tired of playing"... anyone got the tourbook handy?
Which old songs never get old for you?
MF: So Afraid, Tusk, Landslide, The Chain and Dreams
JM: None of them, they're different every night.
LB: Go Your Own Way, Big Love, NGBA, Tusk, Gypsy and Landslide.
SN: Dreams and Go Your Own Way.

I never ever thought I'd find myself referencing that tourbook when I got it free from the website.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 12-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm dying at Stevie saying she never gets sick of GYOW.

Dying.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
I'm dying at Stevie saying she never gets sick of GYOW.

Dying.
I snorted so hard that I got a headache. She never ever fails to make me facepalm.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 12-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The playlist songs or the others? Or both?
Her playlist songs are ok (umm, some of them). The other songs she mentioned, that she'd put in a capsule, by Taylor, Beatles, Loggins were just...zzzzzzzzz. I respect those three artists (well duh I love the Beatles), but those particular songs are not even close to their best in my opinion- especially "Yesterday." But it's all good. I prefer LB's quirky taste any day.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

2. "Angel of Mine (Radio Mix)" by Monica: "I love this song. I would like to record it."
Very nice!

Quote:
3. "Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand" by Primitive Radio Gods: "A song from the past. Brings back good memories."
It's a great song and one of my favourites as well.

Quote:
4. "Tender Love" by Force M.D.'s: "This was one of my favorite songs in 1985."
Nice choice!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Additionally, Stevie said all this a few months ago..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011...dtrack-my-life

STARTING OUT IN ROCK'N'ROLL

'Rock & Roll Woman', Buffalo Springfield (1967)

Hearing this for the first time was like seeing the future. [Sings] "And she's coming, singing soft and low…" When I heard the lyrics, I thought: that's me! They probably wrote it about Janis Joplin or someone like that but I was convinced it was about me. I saw Buffalo Springfield at the Winterland Ballroom at the time, and it could not have been better. They were a very Californian band and it was the height of the Haight-Ashbury scene. My parents had moved to San Francisco in my final year of high school, so I was new and didn't know anyone. But music was everywhere, everyone was listening to the radio all the time – I was living in the middle of a music revolution.

By 1968 I was in a band with Lindsey. His family lived in the same gated community as us, and we would practise at his house. My mum and dad liked him, and everybody in the band. We practised Monday to Thursday, then played gigs on Friday and Saturday. So we were serious about it from the beginning, and my parents understood that.

THE ALBUM THAT TAUGHT ME TO SING HARMONY

Crosby, Stills & Nash, Crosby, Stills & Nash (1969)

I spent a whole summer singing along to this record. I loved the harmonies, and learned to sing all three of the parts. I knew that I wanted to be in a band with the same kind of harmonies. I'd had a record deal early on. When I was a senior in high school a friend of a friend of my dad was a big deal at 20th Century Fox. So I flew to LA, took my guitar, sang and signed a five-year contract with a producer named Jackie Mills. He quit soon after, and luckily there was a "main man" clause in my contract that meant I was now released from it. I wasn't upset. Even at that age I was smart enough to realise that I didn't want to be stuck on a label with people that I didn't know.

THE SONG I PLAY BEFORE A SHOW

'Blonde in the Bleachers', Joni Mitchell (1972)

This is about a girl who [sings] "tapes her regrets to the microphone stand, she says 'you can't hold the hand of a rock'n'roll man for very long'". I never saw myself as the girl in the song – I identified with the rock'n'roll star. I was never gonna be the groupie. I was the star, I was sure of that. I listen to that song to this day. It's on the playlist I have for when I'm preparing to go on stage. I felt sorry for the girl in the song, and for all the girls who got their hearts broken going out with rock'n'roll stars. I don't think much has changed. Guys become famous, go on the road, all the beautiful girls come to their show, and it's a free for all. My advice to the young women I know is don't go out with a rock star. It's never gonna work.

I went out with Lindsey but he was a colleague, and he was very in love with me. I was not worried one bit about Lindsey Buckingham straying from me. We came to LA together, hand-in-hand, to conquer the world.

THE ALBUM THAT REMINDS ME OF BEING DOWN AND OUT IN LOS ANGELES

Court and Spark, Joni Mitchell (1974)

This was one of those albums that I lay on the floor and listened to for three days straight. Lindsey and I were coming to the end of our relationship, and I'd met someone else. So I latched on to the title track, which is about a new relationship that doesn't last. This was a year after Buckingham Nicks came out, which had gotten critical acclaim but Polydor dropped us like a rock. So we were back to square one. It was the only time I ever felt music might not work out. I talked to my parents about going back to school, because I was tired of being a cleaning lady, a waitress and a rock'n'roll star at the same time. We were really poor. At the same time, we were already living in the world that Joni Mitchell was writing about because our producer, Keith Olsen, had introduced us to a lot of people in the industry. So I related to a song like "The Same Situation" whenever I'd go to a party and music business sharks were everywhere. They would look at me as the blonde who could sing and might make lots of money for someone. I didn't like being looked at as a commodity. But by the end of that year Mick Fleetwood had asked us to join Fleetwood Mac, sight unseen. Keith Olsen had played him Buckingham Nicks, and told him Lindsey and I came as a pair.

THE ALBUM THAT REMINDS ME OF FRIENDS

Battle Studies, John Mayer (2009)

I played this constantly when I went to Hawaii a while ago. I was on a quick break while I was making the new album because Dave Stewart, who produced the record, was stuck in London at the time because of the volcano in Iceland. So me and four of my friends went on holiday, drove over the mountains and listened to this record all the time. I don't listen to other music when I'm actually writing as I don't like to be influenced by other things. You don't want to end up rewriting something that's already been written. And I don't go back to any of my own records either. I don't want to rewrite "Edge of Seventeen".
Old 12-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ I like that list much better!