Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 3 months in jail for killing a child

Don't read this story if you don't like getting very angry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/4739670.stm

This is the justice system in the UK, a "civilised western democracy", and I thought people across the pond might like to know what it's like here.

An additional aspect to this story is that a man who stole a teddy bear from this girl's memorial was given 8 months in jail...
Old 02-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
Don't read this story if you don't like getting very angry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/4739670.stm

This is the justice system in the UK, a "civilised western democracy", and I thought people across the pond might like to know what it's like here.

An additional aspect to this story is that a man who stole a teddy bear from this girl's memorial was given 8 months in jail...
Hey, it's ok, he can be rehabilitated.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh my god. That is horrible. I hope justice will be served, but unfortunately it looks like the case is closed. That is so sad...

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 02-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Hey, it's ok, he can be rehabilitated.
Isn't that just the most annoying thing when you hear that?

Do you guys ever have instances like this? I get the feeling your sentencing is usually a bit more appropriate than ours. It happens here quite a bit, particularly with deaths caused by reckless driving.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Man, and this from a country that a few hundred years ago invented new and exciting ways to torture people for doing nothing more than stealing a loaf of bread. My how times have changed...

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

There should be a goddamned riot about that. Seriously. Isn't everyone outraged?!?!
That girl is just a doll, too.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 02-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There is outrage in the media..sadly, its just another example of our failing justice system...

~Nicki
*~~*Never take it seriously. If you never take it seriously, you never get hurt. And if you never get hurt, you always have fun. If you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends.*~~*

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Old 02-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity
There is outrage in the media..sadly, its just another example of our failing justice system...

~Nicki
That article wasn't very explicative. What was the judge's rationale? Or is that the standard sentence for a hit and run death causer?

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 02-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
That article wasn't very explicative. What was the judge's rationale? Or is that the standard sentence for a hit and run death causer?
It depends if it's decided that you were driving "dangerously". If you're convicted of causing death by dangerous driving, you can get up to 14 years. But this guy apparently wasn't driving erratically, so he only gets convicted of failing to stop, failing to report an accident and driving without insurance or a licence. The judge was upset by all accounts, and he asked for the law to be changed, but he felt he couldn't sentence the guy to any longer in prison.

So someone who never even took the trouble to take a driving test, never bothered with insurance and thinks it's OK to leave a child dying in the road after you've run her over - gets 3 months in prison. He sounds like one of the most dangerous people in the country to me - and he should be glad it wasn't any child of mine that he killed.

The other insult was that he was banned from driving for 5 years - this is a man who wasn't even licenced to drive in the first place! A 5 year ban isn't really going to bother him, is it? Chop his bloody legs off, see how well he can drive after that, the b****rd
Old 02-23-2006, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That pretty much sums it up, the law is quite frankly an ass in this area and the judge couldnt do a great deal else (precedent/statutory interpretation etc). However, there is now a Bill being put to Parliament (or it will be soon) regarding a new offence of "causing death by careless driving" which would have meant a much, much heftier punishment.
*~~*Never take it seriously. If you never take it seriously, you never get hurt. And if you never get hurt, you always have fun. If you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends.*~~*

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Old 02-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
It depends if it's decided that you were driving "dangerously". If you're convicted of causing death by dangerous driving, you can get up to 14 years. But this guy apparently wasn't driving erratically, so he only gets convicted of failing to stop, failing to report an accident and driving without insurance or a licence. The judge was upset by all accounts, and he asked for the law to be changed, but he felt he couldn't sentence the guy to any longer in prison.

So someone who never even took the trouble to take a driving test, never bothered with insurance and thinks it's OK to leave a child dying in the road after you've run her over - gets 3 months in prison. He sounds like one of the most dangerous people in the country to me - and he should be glad it wasn't any child of mine that he killed.

The other insult was that he was banned from driving for 5 years - this is a man who wasn't even licenced to drive in the first place! A 5 year ban isn't really going to bother him, is it? Chop his bloody legs off, see how well he can drive after that, the b****rd

to top it all off, he was out on parole from a previous jail term for wounding!
cant he get parole violation? thats what would happen here....
Old 02-23-2006, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity
That pretty much sums it up, the law is quite frankly an ass in this area and the judge couldnt do a great deal else (precedent/statutory interpretation etc). However, there is now a Bill being put to Parliament (or it will be soon) regarding a new offence of "causing death by careless driving" which would have meant a much, much heftier punishment.
Your lawmakers should look at California's drunk driving laws...that'd give people pause before drinking and driving....between the fines, the fees, the classes you have to attend (at great cost) and no license, its pretty tough...

what surprised me about this case was what the driver was charged with in the first place (I mean really! reckless driving instead of vehicular manslaughter?)

can he now be charged with the girl's death?