View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I didn't know about Dennis using Christine financially too. I guess I just always assumed that he had royalties from the Beach Boys, but that doesn't go far when you have an expensive drug habit.

The way Carol described Curry made you wonder what people saw in him too. He might have been good looking, but if he was going to brag to everyone about all the women he'd slept with -- right in front of those women -- that rather tarnishes his allure.

CAH says Christine lied about who she wrote Oh Daddy and Songbird about, but I don't think that's the case, because Christine didn't seem to be evasive about Curry.

I also found it interesting that Sharon and Ray went out, since we've seen both of them on tour with Fleetwood Mac for a long time.

Quote:
for one thing Lindsey's lawyers would have been all over it like a rash if there were false allegations.
With the burden of proof what it is in these cases, lawyers can't weave silk out of straw. Unless you have objective evidence that something is untrue, you can't sue over something like this and win, when it comes to public figures. Private people have more power because they can sue for just invasion of privacy or for being presented in a false light and they can show damage (a necessary element of defamation). But celebrities are fair game. In most cases, the bad publicity doesn't damage them (sometimes it HELPS their career) and they also have to prove "actual malice." A private person wouldn't have to show malice, but if a public figure can't show that someone lied about them with malice, then they don't have a case.

That's why the tabloids are seldom sued. And it's hard to prove that something is untrue, when it's just he said vs. she said. If you can show you were never arrested and have no police record, were in London when they said you were in Paris or have some other hard proof that you didn't do what they said you did, then I guess you have a shot. Otherwise . . .

Most of the events Carol described with Lindsey happened when they were alone. There are no witnesses. The one at Christine's house is a rare exception. I guess if Lindsey's lawyers could get Christine to swear that Carol was lying about that, he would have a case regarding that one. In situation, that would be the words of 2 against one.

Carol also said he started strangling her at an Elvis Costello concert, but that everyone there thought he was hugging and caressing her and complimented her on what an attentive boyfriend she had and how in love they seemed. I believe those are the only 2 times she said he was violent with her when others were around.

Michele