View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
OH, I clearly remember this album coming out, the announcement for its imminent release was so casual. We waited about a year and voila it was there, no drama or fanfare.

I fell in love the with the music immediately. For me, this album is far superior to the blander features of her 1984 release. The difference is her nephew, Dan Perfect, who functioned as an effective collaborator and studio wizard. Also, Christine's songwriting and singing were in top form here.

My only complaint is that some of the songs have too many repetitions and could be about 30-60 seconds shorter. I'm thinking of "Liar," which is a great tune with one too many repeats of the chorus. But the last three songs in particular are remarkably concise and perfectly arranged.

There are a number of great blues/R-n-B moments here. "Bad Journey,""Forgiveness," and "Anything is Possible" are so cool!

But the best tune is not on the album--the acoustic version of "Friend."

ITM is my favorite Mac solo album behind no other except Out of the Cradle.
That's definitely some fair criticism of some of the songs. I agree.
I have had the Buckingham/McVie CD in my car ever since it came out and listen to it everytime I drive. I just listened to some of In The Meantime again recently and it blew me away (yet again) how good some of the songs are. She is on top of her game. I wish she would have promoted it but even if she had, I don't think she would have toured. I would love to hear some of these songs live.
Most of this album is superb. However, I think Ask Anybody and The smile I live for are some of Christine's best songs ever. I also think Love Will Show Us How is a great sing along to open the album. The Challenge and One in a Million are top notch too. So its really impossible for me to pick a favorite. But her voice on In the Meantime I think is some of her best singing ever.
Bonus factor: We get 2 angry bitter Christine songs on one album. How rare and to get 2 of them: Liar and Bad Journey