View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferuk View Post
The bio sections on this site are worth a read, in particular the McVie info as John gave Lis (former site owner) edits, IIRC.
http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/fwm/inde...d=73&Itemid=89

Here's an excerpt CM quote

I daresay, if I hadn't joined the band, we might still be together. I just think it's impossible to work in the band with your spouse. Imagine the tension of living with someone 24 hours a day, on the road, in an already stressful situation, with the added negativity of too much alcohol. It just blew apart." Anyone who has taken a holiday with someone knows how after about a week in close quarters, tempers start to wear thin, and little irritations start to grow into major blow-ups. I can’t fathom the strain of doing this for years instead of days or weeks, and dealing not only with your spouse, but also with the little idiosyncrasies of other individual band members. Add to that a poor diet, cramped travel cars, a nightmarish laundry situation, dirty hotel rooms, and lack of privacy--Mick has said that at times they had to sleep three or four to a room-- not exactly a recipe for marital bliss. But the root of the problems really seemed to lie in the fact that they were just together too much: “John and I spent too much time in each other’s pockets. It’s pressure, being in the public eye. When people get married they can live in a house with more than one room. But on tour you’re in a hotel room together, you leave the hotel together, you drive together, eat together, sit on the plane next to each other—you’re like Siamese twins.
As much as everyone likes to get into the more salacious differences between Stevie and Lindsey, the largest portion of their break up is due to these exact same reasons.

Stevie would talk more about that aspect of things earlier on in their career; as they became more vindictive towards each other she focused on other things.

But she would say things early on like it's hard to be in a band with someone AND also be their supportive girlfriend. She used examples like, say Lindsey was having trouble nailing down a particular guitar part on a song. She as his GF should be all about making him feel better "you're great man, don't listen to them" etc etc But then she's like you know, I"m also one of the other 4 people in the studio getting frustrated and saying "If you could just get this guitar part right we could finish this song that we've been doing for 4 days" or whatever.

So again the challenges of being together 24/7 take their toll.

Add to this the fact that once their already shaky relationship moved from BN days to FM days and Stevie started getting more people to spend time with (she always said in the BN days she didn't have girlfriends to hang with) and then she started getting more fame, and Lindsey had some control issues.... that just made it impossible.