View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm addicted to tomatoes. Not eating them - growing them. Of course I like to eat them too.

I have been obsessing over tomatoes for weeks. Buying seed that I may or may not ever grow, spending hours looking at pictures of tomatoes on the internet, fussing over the tomatoes in my garden every couple of hours when I'm not at work, reading web forums devoted to the joys and pitfalls of growing tomatoes.

This year in my garden, I have 7 different varieties. Momotaro, Dr. Wyche's, Cherokee Purple (the best tomato ever), Pineapple, Black From Tula, Russian Persimmon and Riesenstraub.

Everyday is a battle of willpower to stay away from the local garden centers that are on my way home from work, because if I go, I'll buy more tomato plants, and I've run out of spaces to plant them...for now. If only I hadn't grown all those other vegetables...especially squash, broccoli and kale - they take up far too much room that could have been used for TOMATOES.

Next spring I am buying a house in one of Denver's vintage neighborhoods, Park Hill. Then, I'll easily have room for 24 tomato plants. Maybe even 40. That means I'll need to buy more varieties of seed than I have right now.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case