View Single Post
Old 08-02-2022, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Interesting article, though I'm not convinced about:
At the same time, however, no one seemed content to allow Mirage to be Fleetwood Mac's final album. As Buckingham told Creem, "it left a lot of things dangling."

No one? As i remember Tango was born because they wanted to help Mick, who was broke. Not because they longed to make another album.

Probably Lindsey did say that (does anybody know when was Creem interview?), but I'm not convinced he was sincere. He probably said so to convey a positive context.
I think the article was interesting and pretty accurate. I’m certain Lindsey and Christine both at some point have said that they didn’t want Mirage to be their last work together as FM. Christine could hardly say many positive things about it when it was reissued. I don’t think she dislikes Mirage, just that it’s not the album they wanted to go out on.

Also, this idea that FM reconvened to help Mick because he was broke? I don’t buy it. Sure, it was a fringe benefit, but I am quite certain he never asked the band to record Tango to help his finances. Likewise, the rest of the band didn’t come together on their own because of Mick’s financial problems. I believe 100% that Christine was working on Can’t Help Falling in Love and eventually Lindsey, Mick, and John got involved, and they had a good enough time working together that they decided to do another album. As a result of making Tango, Mick got back on his feet again, and they all made a lot of money, but no way did they do it to help Mick.

Clearly during the making of Tango, Lindsey had a change of heart and decided Tango would be his swan song from the band, and I definitely believe he and Christine think Tango was a stronger album to go out on, both in terms of sales and material. As much as I love certain songs on Mirage, none of those songs have the strength of Little Lies, Isn’t It Midnight, Big Love, or Everywhere.