View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
I never understood why people thought the line "she sees her father holding her down" implied sexual abuse. If you interpret that line differently, the song goes in a completely other direction. I always took that line to mean someones father is holding her back, keeping her down, preventing her from hurting herself. Perhaps she even wants to kill herself at the loss of her fame and her father prevents her from doing so? So, instead, she just lays in her bed and lets herself drown, be miserable. That line does not have to mean sexual abuse and Lindsey has never implied that it does so.
You're right, it doesn't necessarily have to mean sexual abuse; it could also just be physical abuse. But I'm not sure the idea of her father simply metaphorically "holding her down" really holds up in the context of the rest of the song. The idea of her father as her protector just seems out of place. Miranda doesn't have any protectors - she's "always alone."

Also, a lot of the imagery revolves around the juxtaposition of light and dark - with Miranda using darkness as one way to hide from and forget about her problems (as when "she slips down the shade / and lets herself drown"). The image of her father, however, is associated with the light - she sees the image of her father only after "the sun starts to rise." But "the daylight" which heightens that image "is poison to her eyes." So in the context of the verse and the rest of the song, it really doesn't seem that her father is assuming the role of protector.