View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default B+/a-

http://jakes-take.com/2017/06/jakes-...-june-edition/

Jake’s Take’s New Music Reviews (The Mid-June Edition)
June 16, 2017 By Jacob Elyachar Leave a Comment
By: Jacob Elyachar, jakes-take.com

Jake’s Take’s New Music Reviews is back!
In this edition, Jake’s Take looks at the latest music from the biggest Top 40 stars, two music legends, and a few up-and-coming acts.
Without further ado, let’s get this party started!

Katy Perry Witness
(Album cover property of Capitol Records)
Witness by Katy Perry
Katy Perry is back! The newly minted American Idol judge has released her first album of new material since 2013’s game-changing Prism. While Perry brought back her key collaborator Max Martin to help with the songwriting and producing element, the “Walking on Air” singer-songwriter turned to the industry’s sizzling talent such as Shellback, Jack Garratt, Duke Dumont, Ali Payami, Sia, and Sarah Hudson to help her compose this album. To be honest with you, as much as I love Ms. Perry, Witness has severely disappointed me. There are too many glitches such as unbearable auto-tune on “Mind Maze” and overpowering synthesizer riffs on “Miss You More.” While tracks like the Skip Marley-assisted “Chained to the Rhythm” and the Nicki Minaj-featured “Swish Swish” are tailored made radio hits, I believe that the listener will be confused on the direction that the “I Kissed A Girl” singer is interested in. Is she driving closer to the Eurohouse genre? Or the Pop/Hip-Hop route? Hopefully, she can turn things around because this was a disappointing album. D+
Tracks to Download: “Swish Swish” & “Power.”

Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie by Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie
Two of Fleetwood Mac’s talented singer-songwriters joined forces for the very first time. Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie’s first joint album features some of the duo’s best material in years. While listeners can hear stylistically which artists wrote each track by who had the lead vocals, Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie captures the magic that would satisfy both veteran Fleetwood Mac fans and newcomers alike. Also, keep an ear out for both Buckingham and McVie’s Fleetwood Mac bandmates, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, who supported their friends in the recording process. This is an excellent album, and a must-have in your music library. B+/A-
Tracks to Download: “Sleeping Around the Corner,” “Red Sun,” “In My World,” “Too Far Gone,” & “On with the Show.”

Heart Break by Lady Antebellum
Lady Antebellum celebrated their tenth anniversary last year…by taking a hiatus! Hillary Scott, Dave Haywood, and Charles Kelley’s latest album, Heart Break, marches them towards the country pop lane. While I am glad that they took a hiatus and regrouped to record new music, Heart Break is an okay cup of tea. There are some strong tracks such as the beautiful ballad “Hurt,” the funky “You Look Good,” and an homage to the troops (“Army”). However, there are a few tracks that should have left on the cutting room floor such as “Somebody Else’s Heart” and “This City.” This is a strong country pop album, and I think that Lady Antebellum is going to have a great summer. B
Tracks to Download: “You Look Good,” “Army,” & “Good Time to Be Alive.”

Melodrama by Lorde
Pure Heroine changed New Zealand singer-songwriter Lorde’s life forever. Thanks to her partnership with co-writer and co-producer, Joel Little, Lorde earned two Grammy Awards, two Billboard Music Awards, and an iHeartRadio Music Award. Melodrama focuses on Lorde’s journey as she transitioned from a talented New Zealander to a Grammy-winning young adult whose music is judged by countless fans and critics around the world. For her sophomore album, Lorde turned to an array of producers and songwriters such as Little, Jack Antonoff (who co-executive produced this album), Tove Lo, and Malay to craft tunes worthy of being siblings such as “Tennis Court,” “No Better,” and of course, “Royals.” Melodrama is a powerful sophomore effort and could be a contender for 2017’s top albums. A-
Tracks to Download: “Green Light,” “Sober,” “Liability,” & “Perfect Places.”

From the Outside by Hey Violet
Hey Violet is one rising band that is catching some heat! Made up of sisters Rena and Nia Lovelis, Miranda Miller, Casey Moreta, and Iain Shipp, fans might remember this Los Angeles-based rock band as Cherri Bomb. After 2015, the group’s passion for music was reignited by Australian pop punk band 5 Seconds of Summer, when the “Hey Everybody” band signed them to Hi or Hey Records, their record label that they co-own with Capitol Records and Universal Music Group. From the Outside is Hey Violet’s debut album under this new moniker and this group has blown me away. From the hypnotic “Guys My Age” and “Hoodie” to the edgy “My Consequence,” this album is a breath of fresh air for the pop punk world. The vocal harmonies are superb, while there is a right balance between the keyboards, drums, guitars, and synthesizer. Mark my word, Hey Violet is going to be the breakout band of 2017! A+
Tracks to Download: “Brand New Moves,” “Guys My Age,” “Hoodie,” “My
Consequence,” “O.D.D.” & “All We Ever Wanted.”

“Jake’s Take” does not own any of the clips that are sprinkled in this music review. They belong to the artists and their respective record labels.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"