View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I wouldn’t read too much into the set list from the Ellen show. I suppose The Chain was inevitable, as was a Stevie-penned song. That unfortunately left Christine out... but this is unequivocally the Stevie Show now. The choice of both of these songs truly cements that. The Chain is the band’s anthem and only “group” song- this was the band’s way of legitimizing this new lineup. And there was no way the second song performed would be anything other than a Stevie tune. She’s not just the “star,” she’s now the boss. Hence why she was grinning like an imp the entire time, in spite of the rather sad renditions of each song.
no, the version we have is truly a multi songwriter composition. Stevie wrote the chorus, but Lindsey wrote the verses, and from after the second verse on comes directly off of Christine's song, including the bass line John created and Lindsey's guitar solo. All the keyboards in that second half are from her song.

It's truly a collaboration between the 5, done when they were going through really tough times, and it's about the sticking together and getting through it. That's what makes it sad to hear with other players. I'm guessing they thought the message of sticking together through tough times and carrying on was somehow appropriate to their current situation, but when one of the key architects of the song isn't there it's a bit ironic.