View Single Post
Old 04-22-2002, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I really like what everyone had to say. There are just a coupla things I'd to thrown back in to the discussion.

Stevie's use of her instrument (her voice) has GREATLY improved since the early Rhiannon days. I don't think her ability to hit the notes is really in question, as she sings the same notes in songs like "Edge of Seventeen" and "Fall From Grace".

I think if she's gonna drop the climax from the song, she should simply do it as a recitative leading into something else. The piano intro is GORGEOUS and there are so many songs based on the Rhiannon chords/concept that I'm sure she could come up with a fresh perspective on the song.

I'm a performer myself, and I know how it is to get burnout on certain songs after performing them hundreds of times. And I really think that burnout is the case when it comes to Rhiannon. I KNOW it is- especially after seeing the energy and fire she threw into "Fall From Grace".

Stevie has said in various interviews that she can't drop any of the "classics" because her audience expects to hear them. That's a shame because she is such a vital, prodigeous artist. I don't think she needs to rely on being a "greatest hits" artist at all.

It's like Joni Mitchell once said "Musicians are the only artists out there that are required to reproduce their work for eternity. No one out there ever said to Van Gogh, 'Hey man, could you paint 'A Starry Night' for me?'"

While I'm sure that Stevie loves "Rhiannon", "Dreams" and "Stand Back"- I think both FM and her solo shows would be better serviced by playing some fresher material live. There are sooooo many great songs that have never even made it to the stage, as well as selections that they haven't played for years.

I really hope the band takes a fresh approach considering this will be the first time FM will be playing live based on Buckingham/Nicks. "Sisters of the Moon" in particular comes to mind as a song that would work perfectly.