View Single Post
Old 10-11-2002, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Post Lindsey on Mirage...

I gushed all over the place in my comments on the Tusk album discussion thread, so now let me take the opportunity to wipe the drool off my chin and compose myself as I talk about Mirage!
While I think Lindsey's Mirage songs are the weakest of his contributions to any Mac album, I don't feel completely negatively.

I have a really hard time with the retro-poppy ones like Book of Love and Oh Diane. And Empire State--well, that's not even accessible to me in that sugary retro way the other two could be. Someone commented earlier on its different vocal style, which does make it interesting. Maybe I'll have to give it another few listens.

As for Can't Go Back, it is very catchy. It's been in my head since I pulled out Mirage to relisten to Lindsey's stuff for this thread. I really like the lyrics too, especially "Melodies awaken sorrows from their sleep." Sweetly regretful, in the vein of his nicer sentiments on Tusk, and beautifully worded. I don't like "face as soft as a tear in a clown's eye," however. I have that spooky clown association, which kind of confuses me about the point he's trying to make. You know, clowns kind of scare me. I don't like the blank expressions on their face--you can't tell what's going beneath the make-up. Hmm, maybe that line is much more complex than I thought... Is it as deep as I'm thinking it could be?

And last but not least, Eyes of the World . I love the connection to Stephanie, and I love Lindsey and Christine's Pachelbel thing. Sure, it's cutesy, but in a good way--and then we move on to the angry sentiment behind the song. I don't think the Stephanie connection combined with the anger is a coincidence. I do wonder what being "full of face" means, though. Any ideas?

Overall, I guess I think Lindsey's Mirage stuff is a mixed bag. But, his brilliant work on Gypsy more than makes up for it for the low points.