Thread: Is this fair?
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2018, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Being a genius in the studio only works if you have the right people.
Truer words have never been spoke.

But I have to cavil with some of the earlier opinions that "Dreams" would be nothing without Fleetwood Mac's recording (which I love). "Dreams" is an excellent lyric: tight, cynical, ironic, sly, but also a passionate little narrative. If I didn't know Stevie wrote it, I'd never in a hundred years think she wrote it. It's more like Elvis Costello, post Angry Young Man. (It has a lot of the same sly push of "Kid About It" or "King of Confidence." I don't think "Dreams" has been given due appreciation by fans as a lyric. Sometimes I wonder whether people really perceive all the subtext in the song, or the way that it scans so beautifully with little cocky statements embedded at the end of lines. It should be studied more closely. Mick's kick+snare and John's bass are deliberately recorded to simulate the steady heartbeat of regret and warning. It really is a beautiful track, overflowing with the craftsmanship and ideas that Fleetwood Mac was renowned for.

It's Stevie's best song, by far, and it's probably Fleetwood Mac's best lyric, or one of.

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 06-30-2018 at 11:29 AM..