View Single Post
Old 05-12-2018, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Maybe down the line when enough time has passed and wounds have healed...but they might be too old for that sadly.
And I think he meant it to be a general statement that they got caught up in the conflict/desire for money/easy way out and lost sight of the most important thing-- preserving the legacy of that beautiful band. And he's 150% right that that is the saddest thing about it all. I don't think he's as upset about them screwing him over as he is about the legacy being ruined. It might have been part of his psychoanalysis therapist babble, but I always fully believed that what he said about cycles was true, and that it really meant a lot for him to 'finish' the journey.
Exactly!

He even stated what that was-- that their legacy, their "higher calling" whatever... was to rise above the daily grind of the egos and everything else involved in being in a band (broken hearts, anyone?) and soldier on to make good music. He *said* this in his comments.

And now they are *not* rising above the difficulties and disagreements and challenges to find a way forward, and he's saying it's sad that given how often they HAVE managed to do this in the past (breakups, people leaving, etc) they can't pull it out just one last time so they can end on a note of surviving all the vicissitudes of rock success. In the end, in the final hour, they managed to not live up to their own track record and legacy of patching it up and soldiering on for one last tour. Now they'll be remembered for holding it together long enough to fall apart at the very end.

I think the "factions" bit, like people have said, means he recognizes certain people were the instigators and certain other people got swept along in the momentum (e.g., John possibly, and Chris).