Thread: The Chain
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 10:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalzaretta View Post
The RS collectors edition has this song at 5. I actually would have had this at 1 (certainly higher than Don't Stop). BUT - am I wrong - or was the write up on this a bit odd. There is no doubt that last half is all the jam session from Keep Me There. But LB said he wrote the lyrics? I thought Stevie said she did. She certainly wrote the chorus and the title is hers. And she got no mention. A bit odd. Odd giving them all writing credit. That has to be because of the jam session at the end of Keep Me There. But Stevie gets credits for the title and the chorus at least. But I thought she wrote all the lyrics.
Yes, Stevie wrote the lyrics and melody on top of the backing track. Her original acoustic-guitar version of The Chain is much longer with more branches than were actually used in the final song. Lindsey's most important job was to weld the basic structure of Christine's bluesy backing track with Stevie's folk tune. Of course he does a great job with tying the disparate parts together, but yes, it's simply wrong to give him credit for the words and melody. I think RS is really pushing the LB/CM partnership right now, which is cool, but not at the expense of the truth.