Thread: Bekka Bramlett
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think you'll find a lot who have great things to say about Bekka Bramlett on this subforum. I'm glad you're enjoying your discovery of her.

Her voice has never really "pulled me in" in quite the way the other Mac women do, but her vocal talent is undeniable. I enjoy her songwriting in particular.

I think she did a great job covering older Mac tunes. They were very different from their original versions, which is how it should be. I actually prefer her Stevie covers, as I think they better suit her sort of wild-ragged vocal style. Her interpretations of Christine's more subdued songwriting seem oddly restrained yet overly-embellished at the same time, but still enjoyable. The vitriol against her is absurd and hugely embarrassing to me as a Stevie fan. You'd think Bekka had murdered Stevie in her sleep and these were all clips of her singing whilst tapdancing on her grave. Covers and reinterpretations of songs from older members are a part of FM that I've always enjoyed, and it's a shame people weren't willing to embrace them in the Time era.

An aside: Talking of Mac reinterpretations/covers, I've always thought Stevie could do a mean interpretation of Green Manalishi. Am I alone in this?

ETA: Just listened to her and Billy doing Oh Well. Billy is lacklustre, but Bekka... Yeesh. Eat your heart out, American Idols (although they rarely seem to have much more career success than she's had).

Last edited by Dex; 05-29-2013 at 09:36 AM..