View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Nailed it, Viv. I'll never begrudge anyone the right to like what they like. But it seems absurd to just write off an entire era of music. Especially in an era where Stevie and Lindsey's influence on the general music scene has arguably never been higher, and you don't even need to get out of your pyjamas to discover tons of great new music.

Nothing against your nephew, MFF, I just think he's really missing out and that's sad.

I must say though, there is a certain age range that seems to be the most impressionable music-wise. I'm 26 now, but my taste in music seems more or less defined by my musical discoveries when I was 18-23 or so. I'm not consciously shutting new stuff out, but I've noticed I'm not searching for new music or exploring new genres with anything near the fervency I had a few years ago. I miss my new-music-enthusiasm sometimes, but when I talk to others about it, this seems pretty normal.
I love old music. I love new music. People who say 'music isn't good anymore' are just stuck in the past, living in nostalgia. And it varies. I've heard music isn't good anymore, since 1968, since 1972, since 1977, since 1987, since 1991 - it's all baloney to me. Music is still good. Great, in fact.

I'll be 40 in....a little while, and just today I was aksed if I still listen to the same bands I listened to in my teens and early 20's. I was delighted to say 'Nope' (except for FM and Stevie). Most of my favorites now are bands or singers I've discovered within the past 7-10 years. It's great - there's so much out there! You just have to work to find it, and be willing to *listen*. People don't like to listen anymore; they're too busy checking Facebook updates, living in our ADHD society.

On another forum, someone posted their own Top 100 Albums of all time, and another poster said something like...

Quote:
I see there's nothing on your list after 1991. If I had to listen to that list of albums for the rest of my life, I'd kill myself.

And I feel the same way.

However, I do feel I should say that it's *harder* to find great music nowadays. Radio plays a list of 15-25 songs on repeat, and DJs have no say in their playlists. There are very few record stores. There aren't record clubs anymore (BMG, RCoA, Columbia House). There are tens of thousands of albums released every year just in the United States (about 75,000 on an average year), and most people will only know about .0133% of them - or about 10. How can you buy or hear or love music you don't even know exists?

It's a shame, really.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case