View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Yes, it's rare to see appreciation for this album nowadays because of its strictly 80s sound.
Personally I've come to truly appreciate it with time.
Its very 80's sound for sure but I could appreciate the album more if Stevie wrote more of the songs. For example, IMHO The Nightmare is one of the better songs on the album and its not a coincidence that she wrote it. Its her song and the words sound like Stevie even though the beat is bouncy. So many of the pop songs that were brought to the album just are not Stevie songs at all. While they could work better with other pop artists. Rock A Little lacks the depth and intensity of all of her solo albums. That is the bigger reason I don't care for the album. I can tolerate some of the 80's sound. As mentioned on another thread because there were so many producers, the songs seem fragmented and the album is not as cohesive as her 2 prior solo albums. Stevie's RAL demos and the songs that were cut are far superior to anything else on the album. Those simple pop songs like Talk To Me, If I Were You, and Some Become Strangers could be sung by anyone with that pop synth sound. Stevie Nicks is so much better than that IMHO.