View Single Post
Old 12-08-2016, 05:22 PM

Default Seattle show (Stevie Q&A)

Flower child Stevie Nicks will bring a bouquet of new songs to KeyArena
Rock ’n’ roll mystic Stevie Nicks never stops writing, which is one reason she’s had a strong solo career outside her work with Fleetwood Mac. Nicks appears Sunday, Dec. 11, at KeyArena with the Pretenders as special guests.

Stevie Nicks says that one of her favorite things to do is light a candle, sit at the desk in her Los Angeles home and write poetry.

Nicks, the rock ’n’ roll mystic who constitutes one-fifth of Fleetwood Mac’s classic lineup and wrote several of its most beloved hits (including “Dreams” and “Rhiannon”), is on a 28-city tour with the Pretenders as special guests. The show hits KeyArena Sunday (Dec. 11).

Nicks, 68, is so prolific that six years after joining Fleetwood Mac in 1975, she embarked on a solo career with “Bella Donna,” which featured the memorable centerpiece “Edge of Seventeen.”

Eight solo albums later, Nicks finds herself on the road in support of her most recent releases, “In Your Dreams,” from 2011, and the 2014 album “24 Karat Gold: Songs From the Vault,” a collection of tracks written mainly between 1969 and 1987.

When reached by phone, she was struggling to whittle down her set list. Here are edited excerpts from the conversation.

Q: What’s the difference between touring behind your solo work and touring with Fleetwood Mac?

A: Fleetwood Mac is a team, and when you’re on a team everybody has the same vote — except in this particular team Lindsey (Buckingham) has a little bit of a stronger vote than anybody else. I love being part of a team. We argue all the time, but we always have. In my band, there is no arguing. I am the boss.

Q: The ’80s have once again become a point of fascination in television shows like “Stranger Things.” Are you ever nostalgic?

A: I wouldn’t want to ever go back there. Yes, it was a lot of fun between 1975 and 1990 — until it wasn’t. I walk onstage every night now and do a three-hour show with Fleetwood Mac, and I have a great time up there. I wish I had known that I actually had the energy to do this entire set totally sober and get just as excited. On one hand, that makes me feel great and on the other it makes me sad that I ever did my first line of coke.

Q: Your songs never lost the rawness associated with youthful emotion. Do you find that inspiration comes from your everyday life now, or is your imagination triggered by re-examining the past?

A: I would say both. Great stories inspire me. Some people have the ability to be extremely convincing, and other people can sing for 30 years and not convince you that they have lived a story. At 16 I could sing a love song well. My dad would go, “That’s a good song, honey.” And my mom would go, “That’s just beautiful, Stevie.” And they would be thinking, “We know for a fact that she’s only been on one date and she was back in two hours.”

Q: Are you a fan of Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga or any other major contemporary female artist?

A: I have so many favorites. I love Katy Perry. [And] I’m so happy for Adele right now. She’ll do what I did — she’ll figure out a way to stay in the business. The big difference between her and me is that she has a child, and that will change things for her, but I think Adele knows what she wants and I don’t think she’s in a hurry. And that’s great. If she needs to go away for three years, she doesn’t feel like somebody’s going to take her place. When you believe in yourself that much, you can take as long as you want.

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertai...s-to-keyarena/

Am I wrong or this is just a cut and paste of old quotes?