Thread: OOTC Tour 1992
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Lindsey’s music sounds like a guy making music for the artsy intellectual crowd, as if they’re going to forget he’s they guy who wrote GYOW and was in Fleetwood Mac with the witch lady.
Well, I suppose that some of it sounds that way to me, as well, but a great deal of it does not. I think he wants to appeal to intelligent listeners who think like him: people who are burned out on mass-audience formulas and want to hear a personal voice. I would say that he wants to make accessible music - but only if it's on his terms rather than the terms set by multimedia conglomerates and their pop radio stations. He wants to remain independent in voice and spirit, and his solo albums demonstrate that he manages to do that a lot of the time. But he also obviously wants at least some people to listen to his work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
He distances himself from “Rumours” as much as possible, until it serves his needs. He’ll never be considered a Lou Reed.
He distances himself from Rumours because Rumours has already been recorded, and he sensibly sees that there's no reason to keep trying to recapture its appeal or plasticity, especially when the work itself keeps getting re-released every few years in some new format. The cynical view that it sometimes serves his needs to recapture something about Rumours is, of course, partly true. Artists are people, too. They get tired of various types of failure and sometimes fall back on past glories out of laziness or cowardice or the need for a paycheck. But I heavily doubt that Lindsey wants to give up on his creativity completely just to drown contemporary audiences in Rumours. And he's been very honest, at least, for many years about using the big machine to do his own thing on the side. Which should be fine, shouldn't it? He isn't making political statements with his own music, disavowing any and all connection to Fleetwood Mac's mass market. He's just seeing it for what it is. I think he's got a pretty healthy and mature and even responsible perspective as a pop musician, actually.

moviekinks.blogspot.com