Thread: John's Playing
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I lurk a bit, still...
Well, don't go away entirely. There are too many people flying the coop.

Quote:
John probably "played off of the left hand" (aka paid attention to when the keyboardist was playing the bass keys) to create a groove.
But Christine didn't play bass lines. (It's rude -- & dangerous -- for keyboard players to double the bass line.) What was John relying on her for? Her rhythm was bass-like, but doesn't experienced John rely on his own rhythm (coupled with that of Mick Fleetwood)?

Quote:
If you think about it, he was in the best possible spot for a bassist. He could pay attention to the keyboardist AND the guitarists from where he was positioned on the stage. Recently, when my band was going through practice, it was decided that I would be on the right side of the stage (like Bob, Lindsey, et. al.) by the bassist and lead guitarist because they were both looking at what I was doing in terms of chording.
Now please note that I'm not saying that a bassist has no business observing the keyboard player, because I'm not. I'm only saying that I am confused about how John was using Christine's left hand.

I think you guys should just call me insane & ignore me.

moviekinks.blogspot.com