View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 05:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I think this is from the Japan promotional tour. I say this because Stevie is dressed the same and looks early Behind the Mask tour. The band also played Save Me and Freedom during this performance. There are lots of clips of the interviews with the band but they are in Japanese. The Mac had to cancel their Australian leg of their 1987-1988 Shake the Cage tour. The band promised to make it up. The band first toured Australia to promote BTM. I assume this was around that time either right before or after the Australian gigs. The band hit the road very quickly after the album release. I don't know if these were recorded in Japan for the promo. They could have been recorded elsewhere and just played on the show. But these are what I remember from those clips.
Interesting note: In the back of my mind was played in the BTM tour late in the set. It was added as the opener after the band went back on the road after Christine's father's funeral. The band cancelled shows from July 1990 through September. I believe the tour resumed in October 1990 with the song as the opener. It worked really well. Stevie is famous for flubbing lines or coming in late especially in the klonopin years. She nailed every verse live. Never missed a cue or word. The song introduces Billy while showcasing Stevie. Then Christine sings the bridge as the band went into the Chain.
Thank you for the lead! I'll do some hunting with that info to see if its available in better quality somewhere. I got a little excited when you mentioned Freedom being in the program as well and found that one in similarly awful quality, but it sounds like they're lip-syncing. Beyond lame . Hopefully the Save Me clip is done live.

I've seen videos of ITBOMM being used as the opener and it's actually a really cool way to introduce this iteration of the band! The slow build sets an epic mood (even if the song itself is lacking in that area) and flows well into The Chain. I'm surprised they were confident enough after the lacking sales of the album to start off the show this way, but it definitely paid off.

I've noticed Stevie missing cues occasionally in those concerts as well, especially in Rhiannon and her part of Isn't It Midnight. Sidenote: If she'd been more on her game the audio from this tour would be great, the band actually performs very well and sounds a lot better than they did under all that murky production in the studio. Even Stand on the Rock is more tolerable (if only marginally so).

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)