View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 06:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yeah Lindsey would like BN tour, and that's one of the reasons i checked "all of the above" which includes that one, however much i personally may not care about it. but i've noticed BN tour/reissues received no votes so far as a preference even though if you go to some of the m&gs after LB's shows you'd think that's what so many people want.
Elle, this is where your polls confuse me. I voted according to what I think is going to happen not what I want to happen. Two different things.

Quote:
while people who prefer LB solo seem to all strongly prefer current extremely dark solo version of ISA, people who are more FM fans seem to prefer one or the other FM version... and there are some very different versions of ISA live, as we all well know, all great, but some just stir something deeper in you... the current one-man version just sent shivers down my spine every single time i heard it.
To me perfection would be the current LB guitar translation with Stevie's harmonies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But I don't think most of the GOS songs he had were unisex songs (so to speak). I think they were meant to be solo, not just up for grabs. I don't think it's just the sound that was meant to be his solo expression, but the words too for some of those songs. I just don't see Come (the starkest example) or even the more mellow Peacekeeper as something that he'd want to say from an FM pulpit.

Sure, I don't think the songs were hijacked. In the end, he wanted them on an FM album as his best bet of getting them to the listener of listeners, but I think when they were created they had another purpose and he was really hoping for a solo album, which hope didn't end up panning out.

Some of these songs I think he not only did not write for FM, but he would have been upset by the way FM would have made him compromise them. Of course, when Christine left, he didn't have to compromise as much. But sometimes he has it in his head that keyboards soften his message and I think, before the Dance, he wrote some of those songs definitely NOT wanting them to have that smooth FM sound. Unless he was girding for another Tusk battle, I just can't imagine him writing those songs without contemplating a definite solo purpose for them. His voice, his playing, only.

Obviously, he did want that sound, and those keyboards, for other songs, Steal Your Heart Away, for example.

I don't agree with the oft-cited argument that SYW sounds like two solo albums slapped together. But I do think some of those songs were geared solo on LB's part. Of course, the stuff he's written since then is an entirely different matter. All of UTS . . . definitely I see your argument there: that he just wrote and the songs didn't have a label, no FM versus LB. They were just songs that could have gone either way.

Michele
Exactly my point, Michele. Songs are written and he tweaks them and experiments with sounds until he is relatively pleased and it gets approved for the album -- whether that be solo or FM. I don't think it's that huge of a deal. If it is, then the he'll pull the song off and save it for a rainy day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
Welcome to Multi-Quote night at The Ledge

Of course it's not. Age does that. But Lindsey's voice has actually gotten better in many ways! You saw his solo concert. Shut Us Down? Go Insane? Seeds We Sow? His control from the softest, sweetest notes in SWS or NGBA, to the jaw-dropping big notes he reaches - and holds - in SUD or GI, for example is stunning! His range may not be what it used to be, but it's still pretty vast...

GDW is a perfect example of when they get it right. It was one of my favorite parts of the Unleashed tour, and I always look forward to hearing it. I'd love to see them work that kind of magic on more of the songs.
Multi-quotes indeed...I'm outnumbered here.

Even though I am fascinated with his strengths, I'm not blinded to his weaknesses. The thinning of his voice makes a difference in his tone just as much as Stevie's deepening, nasal quality makes a difference in hers. Thankfully, neither of their weaknesses has imparied the voices to the extent that they should not be using them anymore or God forbid where they cannot sing harmony together anymore. Their voices still blend together very well. Lindsey even talked about this once in a more recent interview. And, I totally agree with you about Unleashed GDW - magic together. It would not be the same if one wasn't there - and it isn't the same when Stevie does it solo.

--------
To everyone else who I can't respond to because I'm outnumbered I'll just point this out - Lindsey could s**t onstage and you would think it was awesome. LOL. And, I will always say it would be more awesome if Stevie was holding the pot.

Two is better than one!