View Single Post
Old 03-08-2021, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I agree with you about this. The received wisdom is that BD is her crowning achievement, but in terms of a solo statement, TWH is far more convincing. The sound is more unified, the vocals more assured, and most of the songs appear to have been written around the time of its making. Some of the arrangements are a bit precious by comparison to those on BD, but the overall vibe is one of genuine emotional commitment. Stevie holds nothing back here. She’s all in on every song. Whatever she has to give is lavishly spent.

I even love the silly sleeve design. That florid cursive lettering, the pinks and mauves and purples, the preponderance of ellipses...all of this suggests the world of unicorns, leotards, paper flowers, and canopied beds. She goes all in without apology. Whatever Fleetwood Mac vetoed or tempered has been released and runs amuck.

When the album came out, I asked my brother to get it for me on one of his trips to the mall with his pals. He was embarrassed to be seen buying something so girly. But I was a boy who didn’t give a f...k. She was too good then to ignore, too urgent to dismiss. And she’s knew it.

By comparison, RAL is seriously disappointing.
TWH is really good. It is. But the masterpiece is BD.

When I'm eventually banished to a desert island for my remaining years, with however many albums I'm allowed to bring, Bella Donna will be there. TWH won't make the cut. BD is GREATNESS.

Old thing should have had her trailer hitch WELDED to Jimmy Iovine's bumper!