View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 12:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
One wonders whether the Buckingham Nicks saga is in all respects equivalent to the Luke and Laura saga on (and off) General Hospital. The soap fans fantasized—to the point that they began to believe—that Anthony Geary and Genie Francis had fallen in love off the set and were acting out their psychodrama love to convey to fans that it was actually a lot more real than just a TV romance.

The Buckingham Nicks shippers have modified their fantasies over the years. It started with Lindsey and Stevie being in love with each other, but being unable or unwilling to consummate it permanently because things were so hot. As it became obvious to all but the most obtuse weirdos that Lindsey and Stevie were NOT in love with each other—as she chased down women friends and professional stature and he got married and started his family—the story transmogrified. They were deeply passionate about each other, but not in an entirely sexual way. It was a spiritual bond, a "partnership" of souls, a meeting of minds, a personal and career support network, whatever. Of course, the two of them backed it all up by saying these things in print and onstage. (Meanwhile, neither of them ever picked up a phone and called the other during off-season.)

Now the story is two stubborn lovers, grown into their twilight, who can't sit in the same room for all the sublime romantic and spiritual tension, so they separate for good. The twist is that one of them wanted to stay in the other's sphere and continue to at least work, while the other couldn't take it anymore and she kicked him out.

Next year, since all possible scenarios have been covered, it'll be a reprise of one of the earlier relationships—perhaps the "it was bittersweet and now it's just sweet" crap that they used to explain The Dance. But at this point they're both really bad storytellers—will they ever just shut up and ignore each other, the most truthful thing of all? Imagine the shakeup to the collective shipper psyche if, years from now, one of them is asked about the other and replies, "Who?"
Parts of the shipper history you recount included beliefs that I did not know existed. I mean, I didn’t think they thought it was NOT sexual.

Geary used to tell stories about being nude in the bed scenes with Genie.

I feel that Stevie is already at the “Lindsey who?” stage. I mean, there was a Lindsey in her past that she still prattles about endlessly, but the present day man hanging out in the Bel Air rain ... I think she might have a vague flash of recognition if their eyes met, but then her gaze would be quickly diverted to a passing amusement. He’s just someone she used to know.

It used to be bittersweet. Then it was just sweet. Then it was just bitter. Now, it’s deadly.