View Single Post
Old 08-10-2002, 01:08 AM
Senior Ledgie

I've heard so much about this song on mailing lists and message boards.

If I remember the story correctly: some fan named Shawn decided he wanted to make a song to sound just like Stevie. He allegedly wrote the song, recorded it on a drum machine in his grandmothers garage/basement then put it on a cassette of Timespace demos for safe-keeping. However, rather than stay in his own personal possession it somehow ended up in circulation.

To me, though, and I'm not an expert I admit, the "drum machine" effect in the "fan demo" doesn't sound like the drum machine effect I hear in any of Stevie's drum machine demos.

The song sounds a bit like Sara in places. I'd like to think that any "fan" of Stevie's would have the common sense not to make their song sound like one she had had so much trouble with in the past.

I've heard two versions of this song: the commonly circulated version and another that is supposedly Shawn's "original untampered with demo created by the Stevie fan". To me the "untampered demo" just sounds like the commonly circulated version has been slowed down.

I agree with Adam that I think this is a Stevie demo because I'm yet to see concrete evidence that would convince me otherwise. Again, though, I'm no expert when it comes to analyzing things like this.