View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Did Bob Welch also think Christine was "holding him back?" In one of his Q&As here, he basically said she was musically unadventurous (if talented) and turned up her nose at anything he tried to do that was less mainstream. I took it with a grain of salt, because he came off as really bitter, but it makes you wonder. She was obviously the one who had the best idea of what would appeal to the broadest range of people, though, given the popularity of her songs.

Christine was always more about the music and playing. Stevie has always sold an image to go along with her songs. I mean, you don't dress like that to sing "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" or something. While I think she is a great songwriter (not a producer or arranger, obviously) and had the right voice to go with her music, I don't think she would've been as big without the image she cultivated. Her looks didn't hurt, either. The scary thing is that I don't think she planned it in the beginning. It just worked for her and she's played it up ever since. Christine did not need an image to sell her songs, but she could've been bigger than she was, had she been into that.

I think Lindsey has always believed he was more talented than either of them and that he was largely responsible for their success, which is why it ate at him that Stevie was so popular as a solo artist. Hence his "lounge act" remark. He is a talented producer, arranger and guitar player. But, most of his best songs were on Say You Will, IMO. The lyrics always seemed like an afterthought on many of of his earlier songs. Stevie's solo success and the fact that Christine made 2 great solo records and co-produced both indicates to me that they made their own success. Fleetwood Mac was great during their lineup because the combination of the 5 people was so good, not that Lindsey didn't play an important part as a producer in creating the sound.

great post