View Single Post
Old 04-21-2004, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue
Great question.
I wish I had a better answer but I don't really think Green had any "noticeable" contemporary influences that you would be able to hear.
Yes, I also find it hard to point to specific influences outside of the more obvious blues players. But the influences must have existed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue
In terms of playing, it seems to me that Green really looked back to the older players, especially B. B. King and to a lesser degree, Freddie King, Otis Rush and Buddy Guy. You have to remember also, they were his contemporaries. B.B. had the longest career up until that time but the others were only recording five or six years longer than Green.
Good point, and one I certainly thought about. But I'm sure you'll agree that his looking to BB King (or Duster Bennett) can't explain how he got from "Long Grey Mare" in late '67 for the first Mac album to "Rattlesnake Shake / Underway" on the April '70 BBC session, for example. "Underway" always seemed to me to have a bit of Hendrix influence in there somewhere, although I'm sure not everyone will agree on that.