View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Keep in mind that there are at least two contingents of Macheads who didn't care for the Vito-Burnette years: the contingent you have already identified & a contingent that gave the "new" band every opportunity to impress but just didn't feel it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

I count myself among the latter, largely. To the extent that I like "Behind the Mask" at all, it's because I like the Chris McVie material & vocals. The Vito material is weak, the Burnette material has intermittent charms, & the Nicks material is both weak & poorly sung. Adding drawback to drawback is that Ladanyi muddied the mix.[/I]

Onstage, the show was fairly exuberant & on rare occasion even moving, but was also marked by a kind of blandness in the presentation & arrangement of the material. The idiosyncrasies & strong personal styles of the past -- from Green's "Man of the World" to Welch's "Angel" to Buckingham's "Walk a Thin Line" -- were absent. Consequently, those songs that were either the most straightforwardly anthemic ("Go Your Own Way," "Don't Let Me Down Again," "Say You Love Me," "Blue Letter") or the songs that were slimly & nimbly arranged & presented ("Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You," "I Loved Another Woman") were, by far, the songs that came off the best. Much of the rest of the set always struck me as mere pose & contraption.

Well, I felt it, and so did some others, including OldTimer. You have your opinion, we have ours.

You must be a music producer of some form or a music critic. I didn't find Rick's material weak at all. Could it have been stronger? Perhaps, but it wasn't weak. Billy's material could have been better, but again, I would not call it weak. Stevie's material wasn't bad. Not up to "Tango" status, but it wasn't horrible by any means. Christine's material was solid, but we all expect that from her, regardless of whom she's playing with. I didn't find the "mix" of the album muddied at all. But again, that's my opinion.

I didn't find anything bland about the material in the shows I saw. Fans were going ape at the shows I went to and seemed to thoroughly enjoy themselves. Personally, I thought there was way toooo much Stevie solo material on that tour and it distracted from the Mac, again in my opinion.