View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow
BUT - People who are effected cannot seperate the two and should not be expected to...
Ah, that is a relevant point that I was thinking of. I may agree that understanding is in order when someone cannot separate the two, or doesn't find it funny. That is fine. However, I do think that logically, they can be separated. Largely because I think that everyone knows that no one would ever be laughing at an actual tragedy that occurred.
I do understand that maybe some people are not ready to laugh. But it doesn't necessarily follow that the people who do laugh are remiss. So for people who are not ready to laugh to upbraid the people who do laugh is not so much logical as a knee jerk reaction to pain. Which is fine, totally understandable, but not necessarily a logical reaction. Again because obviously none of us are laughing at the actual tragedy.
I totally see that some people won't find the pics funny, and that is fine. I just hope those people understand that it is not the tragedies we are laughing at. Not to speak for everyone, but I am sure that no one who laughed at the pics in any way diminish the tragedies. So I just want them to know that.
And I do understand that some people might be a little more sensitive to the pictures, and the laughing. So I hope they find comfort in the fact that we are only laughing at the absurdity of super fun lovely Stevie being interspersed with disaster scenes, not at the disaster itself. I would call it the "buggs bunny" reaction - the picture is so funny you can't help but laugh.

And I feel confident that anyone who does not find the pictures funny (perfectly within their rights) would still know that anyone who laughs at them does not do so out of malice or joy at whatever disaster is pictured. I think we all know that to the person, we detest needless violence and destruction.
I don't want anyone's feelings to be hurt, but I also don't not want to laugh at some super funny creative schnizz.

I think the best part right now is that some people who did not think it was funny expressed how they felt, and now we know. So, we are all free to go on from there. We have all viewpoints to draw from. I now know that some of these pics may offend someone, and take it into account, and those offended now know that no one is finding laughter in that which was painful for them, but only from absurd, abstract, silly pictures, and can go on from there.

And that means that we understand other points of view, and can or do not change our behavior accordingly, pursuant to our choice with the evidence presented! Score!

I gotta say, I feel a bottomless pit of sorrow for those affected by 9-11, or Hitler, or the Hindenburg, or our gross environmental negligence. And I still laugh at these photos. And, I don't expect everyone to find them funny, and that is perfectly fine. But it won't make me think these photos are wrong. I think they're lovely, and creative, and brilliant. And it's fine if someone else does not think so, or can't emotionally think so.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 08-07-2006 at 09:09 PM..