View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
Really? You'd never told us that before.

You must have had my posts on "ignore" or something because I throw that out ever chance I've had...and more.

Ok, one more time for posterity...

I became smitten with Eric Clapton's guitar playing on John Mayall's "Beano" album (I was 10 yrs old)...a few months later when I read that Clapton had left to form some band called CREAM, I wondered who could take his place in Mayall's band...that's when I discovered Peter Green on Mayall's Hard Road album (@ age 11). He sounded so good, but so different, from Eric that I was quite taken by his playing, too. Wasn't long until I'd heard that Peter Green had formed some band called Fleetwood Mac (rock news wasn't as easy to come by out here in California...news didn't quite travel so fast in the late '60s). On a late night show on an "underground" FM station, they played "Black Magic Woman" and a couple of other Fleetwood Mac songs...I wasn't quite "hooked", but my interest was "piqued". Wasn't long before I kept hearing "Black Magic Woman" on the radio...a slightly different version, but I never could catch who it was by, I just thought Fleetwood Mac had recorded another version...but, no, that was Santana. Didn't hear much from Fleetwood Mac again until the same FM station played "Oh Well"...OMFG!! When the song was over and the DJ said "Fleetwood Mac", I WAS hooked....line, sinker, the whole damned trauler!! (of course, it wasn't long until Clapton released the Layla album and sucked me back in, so I had this "trio of guitar Gods" reality happening, since I'd also just been turned on to this band from Georgia called "The Allman Brothers Band", as well..and Duane Allman was the third part of the Guitar God Trinity.)

So, despite what you might assume by reading the above, I AM more of a "band" person...a fan of "the band" more than any one individual IN the band...when I'd read that Peter had left, but the band was going to carry on, I couldn't wait to hear how they'd sound without him...then came Kiln House...yep, there's "life after Green" after all. Just cemented my "Fleetwood Mac" fandom over being just a "Peter Green" fan...which I still am to this day, as well. And, as the personnel changes in FMac kept happening, it was just another day in Fleetwood Mac-ville for me...ok, let's hear how they sound with the new person. The "fame & fortune" of the Rumours era really put a damper on things...yay, they're finally famous, but as time went on, they just seemed to stagnate. Then the longer breaks between albums & tours in the '80s just infuriated me...S&L got the blame since they appeared to be the cause...when Lindsey left, I breathed a sigh of relief, thinking that Fleetwood Mac would once again become a full-time band...but, no, they had to "wait for Stevie's solo career"...just pissed me off, so when Stevie finally left (and unfortunately took Christine with her, in my eyes), again, I was looking forward to Fleetwood Mac becoming a full-time band once again. But, no. The Dance reunion was nice to see, but I thought it basically signalled the end...and for all intents, itwas. One good 2nd Buckingham Nicks album in 2003, but that just was it for me...out of which my new motto (paraphrasing some old Medieval Englishman)...

"Fleetwood Mac is dead; long live Fleetwood Mac"

Last edited by chiliD; 05-16-2010 at 07:35 PM..