View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
i also think at least in the beginning she wasn't seen as the major contributor that she has become. She always talks about how in the beginning she was just happy to be there and perhaps somewhat exaggeratedly says that because she was just a "chick singer" and not a real musician she was in somewhat of a "lesser" position. So I can see this being a conscious or unconscious factor for the first album and even for Rumours because wasn't OMH a bigger hit than Rhiannon charting-wise? I think Christine was obviously the senior songwriter from FM and Lindsey being the songwriter/arranger/producer on BN material he had more clout in the beginning than Stevie. And in those days she deferred a lot to his decisions on which of her songs to include. Then they just got into this 3 song thing and it became her mantra......kinda like the "we break for 3 years" thing in recent years. After Rumours and Tusk I agree she may have been holding onto certain songs for solo work, though she's always claimed that she shows them everything and they can use whichever they want.
Oh I've always believed that after Bella Donna she's saved her favorite or what she thought were great songs for her solo material. Gypsy was kind of a whatever song (in my opinion) that became a classic because of the production, I listened to the Tom Petty version and some of the other demos/outtakes and it would have been forgettable imo. Which is understandable, but I 100% believe that after her solo career took off, things just weren't the same with her attitude towards the band.