View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

May 15, 2013 The Prince George Citizen
http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/a...ong-of-the-day

Derek Springall

On Sunday, I will be able to cross Fleetwood Mac off of my bucket list when I finally get to see them perform live at Rogers Arena in Vancouver. I look forward to joining Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks in singing many of their greatest hits, but none more than Go Your Own Way from Fleetwood Mac’s 1977 Masterpiece, Rumours. Written by Buckingham about his feelings towards his turbulent relationship with Nicks, Go Your Own Way tells of the need to let something go, even when the desire to hang on remains. Lindsey’s Rhetorical question “How can I ever change things that I feel?” lets us know that he realizes he must let go of his feelings for Stevie and yet does not know how to do it. He feels anger towards her because he wants to give her everything and yet she won’t let him. You can hear the anxiety in his voice when he exclaims “You can go your own way... you can call it another lonely day” because he feels that they should be together and there is no reason for either of them to ever be lonely. For me, this song is a lesson in letting go. Whether it be a person, an idea, or anything else that you’ve spent time and energy on, there often comes a point when we just have to cut our losses, let go and move on. It is seldom easy, and we will often find ourselves asking the same question as Lindsey. But perhaps we don’t always have to learn to change the things we feel. Maybe, in many cases, we simply have to learn to live with the feelings and just make room for them in our lives or, ideally, let them go their own way.