View Single Post
Old 06-03-2003, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
What strikes me about Red Rover is that Lindsey is playing the studio as much as he is playing the guitar. And as we have found out, the song cannot be reproduced live.

So at what point does truly playing the guitar step into the realm of studio trickery? And when it happens, should it still be considered truly playing the guitar?
I was thinking the same thing when I heard a lot of SYW. I mean that any person can even dream up the guitars and most other instruments on SYW is greatness in and of itself. My hat is off to him for that alone.

But, to be able to reproduce it live is trickier. It makes me think of the inability of the "five" to reproduce Stevie's very complex studio Sara as well as Gypsy. Yet, those songs come off okay musically if not often great "live" even in the scaled down versions. Note: the complex layering of vocals, esp. in Sara, is also a problem live - but that is another thread!!

But, then from what I understand Red Rover and, perhaps, Murrow are so complex that unless he did them "unplugged" a la Big Love, they would not translate well. But then again, Say Goodbye is great in concert. So, I tend to think that although he loves to use the studio gadgets for all they are worth, he also seems to be able to reproduce that same sound in one form or another.

I hope that made sense!

save the cheerleader - save the world