View Single Post
Old 02-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by greenfire
Sharksfan2000 & ChiliD,

Thanks for the further info.! If you guys have those singles "Beast of Burden", "Uganda Woman" & "Heavy Heart", are they more in line with what Pete did on his End of the Game solo album or are they more like what he did with FM or different from both?

I haven't heard End of the Game and am only going by the reviews, which basically say that the songs are unstructured and more free form or improvisation type playing. Has anyone read the review of the album on AMG? I don't even know if End of the Game has any vocal parts or all instrumental. Anyway, I was curious if those three singles were more structured songs with vocals?
Regarding End of the Game, the whole album is in fact free form. According to Martin Celmin's book on Peter, the music was edited from a 3-4 hour late night jam session in June '70, shortly after Peter left Mac. It's entirely instrumental. I think the music is a matter of personal preference, some people seem to think it's great avant-garde playing, others feel it's a total directionless waste of talent. I like a couple of the tracks, "Bottoms Up" and "Timeless Time" - the others I'm afraid I don't care for very much. But if you like Peter Green's guitar work at all, I think the album's worth a listen to see how you feel about it.

"Heavy Heart" was the first solo single from Peter, and had a b-side called "No Way Out". Both are instrumentals and are similar in feel to parts of End of the Game, not surprising as I've read these were also taken from a jam, this one in January '71. I think "Heavy Heart" is easily the better side and ranks with Peter's best work from End of the Game.

"Beasts of Burden" and its b-side "Uganda Woman" are more structured songs, both composed and sung by Nigel Watson (I think Peter is co-credited for writing "Beasts"). Neither song is remarkable IMHO, neither really awful nor very good either. And unfortunately there's not much notable guitar work from Peter on either one. The sessionography in Martin Celmin's book lists the session for this single as also being in January '71, but the text mentions that it was recorded following Peter's appearance on BB King's "Caledonia" in June '71, which I think seems more likely. Not sure how that compares with other sessionographies - maybe someone else can help with that.