View Single Post
Old 03-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I'm a Virgo... it's in our nature to investigate and thoroughly examine that which isn't readily understandable.

I've always loved contradictions within people... they fascinate me.
Whatever floats your boat. I don't take things too seriously, so I don't waste my time on understanding such trivial things.

Quote:
She's been "self-centered" in her lyrics since Day One, when she wrote, "I've Loved And I've Lost."

Her lyrics, by and large, have ALWAYS been about her and her experiences... how something made her feel, how she coped (or didn't cope), and so on.

Which is why I don't get the notion that her lyrics suddenly became "self-centered" in 1989.
I disagree. While she may have been writing about herself and her experiences, she wrote them in a way that was universal; people could identify with her songs. I certainly did. She eventually lost a lot of that ability and began to write songs that not so many people could indentify with, in my opinion. It actually began with Sisters of the Moon, worked it's way up to I Sing For the Sings and Welcome To the Room...Sara, and then just exploded with the odious offle that is Ghosts and Two Kinds of Love (hence my reference to '89).

Please spare me the arguments that you can relate to them, because you're a die-hard fan; you look for that kind of stuff.

Quote:
I'd love it if only it weren't so plodding and boring.
Ah, so you do understand how I feel about Stevie!

Quote:
Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying you HAVE to like the song... all I'm saying is that I do believe, in my interpretation of it, that Stevie's writing about a childish relationship. She's writing about people demonstrating practically the biggest level of immaturity adults can possibly demonstrate: treating someone else as property that you have "rights" to.

So, yes, the characters in the song, and the whole "you can't love him, you can't have him" lyrics sound immature... but, to me, that's the point.
Good, because I don't like the song itself. I like the cheesy production and I adore her vocal, but that's it. I don't agree with your interpretation of it, but we can just put more notches in our respective bedposts over that one instead of delving into it for 87 more pages as if it actually had some deep meaning.

Quote:
I'm not saying no one's allowed to miss Chris... I miss her too. I'm merely responding to the idea that Fleetwood Mac is no good without Christine.
Anyone can believe that if they'd like, but I disagree with it.

When Stevie left, I initially felt that Fleetwood Mac would just plain suck without her... then I got over myself and gave the current lineup a chance, instead of wishing for what it had been in the past. No, it "wasn't the same"... but then things change, and nothing ever stays exactly the way it was.
I gave the current lineup a chance. I miss Chris.

Quote:
I don't think everyone's stinks.
Certainly not mine, bub.