View Single Post
Old 01-01-2021, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why do we complain that Fleetwood Mac plays to casual fans, rather than the dedicated ones who know their catalog by heart? Because they are so big that casual fans out number the diehards by the thousands. Many people go to Fleetwood Mac concert because itĀ’s the thing to do. ItĀ’s a fad. Not because they know anything about the performers as individuals.

For the SYW tour and beyond, many people didnĀ’t know Christine was no longer in the band. I know this because I sat near loads of these people in concert and although I really tried to mind my own business, sometimes I could not help but butt in and share with them knowledge that only focused fans, fanatics and stans actually care about.

People know the Beatles broke up. I think they know that there was some acrimony between Yoko Ono and Paul. I know that John claimed Paul looked at Yoko every time he sang the chorus to “get back”. That is universal knowledge. I don’t think the masses know what goes on in Fleetwood Mac other than the fact that they all supposedly slept together and used drugs during Rumours. People know more about that than they do about anything that happened in 1987. That’s probably why the band is not asked about 1987 in interviews. They are only asked about Rumours over and over and over again.

It’s like Macfan4life said, the bigger your audiences, the less likely people are to know intimate details about the band. When you’re a small, eclectic band the majority of your record buyers and concert goers are more likely to be into you. When you’re big, people just want to hop on the band wagon. They don’t care so much where that wagon is going or where it’s been or who hopped off along the way.

Last edited by michelej1; 01-01-2021 at 10:38 PM..