View Single Post
Old 12-17-2020, 07:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

I agree -- I don't agree with the justifications that I'm describing, but I think that it was part of the whole picture inside Stevie's head. But that is in no way an endorsement of it. Like I said, they wanted an excuse to do what they wanted and not appear to be the bad guys. I think this played into the mindset, but it's just a theory.

I suspect Stevie was fairly assertive especially at the height of her post-Rumours fame. A lot of the guys she was with seem like jerks, but she didn't seem cowed by any of them. That doesn't mean that she didn't have to put up with a lot of sexist BS.

I personally haven't liked any of SN's solo albums since TOSOTM. There have been bits and pieces that have been good, but overall, I find her lyrics generally have crossed the line from self-mythology to straight on narcissism, and I don't like the musical arrangements. I do think Lindsey is really the only one who is producing music that is vital and interesting (and I say this as someone who was lukewarm on his SYW songs overall).

As much as I am trying to get inside the mindset, the firing was really the last straw. There's been so much moneygrabbing by FM/Mick over recent years with all the reissues and greatest hits tours, and I was along for ride until now.

The thing I find galling about the firing, as a fan, is this -- FM, and especially SN, were willing to milk fan/press interest in her and Lindsey for 20 years after The Dance. Even though it's pretty clear it's been a contentious and fairly toxic relationship the entire time. Stevie was willing to play up the fake romance when she could profit from it, but then she can't be civil and stands on "principle" about not waiting for his solo tour when FM has waited for her solo projects before starting theirs? I think the entire band went along with firing Lindsey because they knew it wouldn't affect them financially. And to me, that cheapens anything we saw from them after maybe the nights when they filmed The Dance.